Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red face 45g - First Planted Tank - How can I do it right?

Hello. I've acquired a used All Glass 45g 36"x12 5/16"x23 13/16" (Tall?) tank and need some expert advice on setting it up right.
The tank needed resealed, so I finished that over the weekend, and I put water in it yesterday to check for leaks.

So far I've purchased a Fluval 304 Canister from ebay, and probably go with a Hydor 200 in-line heater.

What I can't figure out is the kind of Lighting. I've read all about the WPG rule, and read several articles, and many forum posts, but I don't really know what type of light would be best for me. I'm on the fence as far is investing in compressed C02, and I really don't know anything about the type of plants I'd use.

Is there a type of light that I could get, and upgrade the bulbs or add a second bulb when/if I go with C02? If you could possible give me a link or two to help me along as to the model of light you recommend.
Do you recommend that I get one of these all glass tops?
Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Twin-Tube Versa-Tops
I'm a bit confused as to hoods/lighting and how they all fit together. A nice light doesn't come with a hood does it?

As far as substrates, maybe Eco-Complete if its not too expensive for my 45.

Hope you can help!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

probabaly the biggest problem i see to start with is the depth of that tank

you are going to need alot of light (and loose alot) trying to get light to the bottom.

i might suggest at least one of these two would be better IMO.

if you do it right you can get away with DIY CO2 IME, but it will take some practice. then there are fertalizers (but those can come later, after the lights)

yes i would get a glass top as well.

as far as plants... the light will determine what you can grow.. but a large sword or tiger lotus would be nice...

Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lighting is one of the most talked about components of a planted tank. With Co2 you can get away with less lighting and still grow plants well.

So personally i would look into CO2 1st then lighting. Lighting will add to your electric bill, CO2 is cheap after the initial cost. Look in the phone book for Fire Extinguisher shops and get a cheap Co2 tank there. Then look at T5HO lighting, 2 bulbs with good reflectors will grow plants great on your tank
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first planted tank, plant, planted, planted tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com