46 Gallon Bowfront - Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rylake

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone.

I starting trying to cycle a 46 gallon bow front aquarium to house some of my fish over the winter from a pond on my property. I bought it used and it was advertised as a 35 gallon - so score! It's my first aquarium, so I am a little green to be sure, but have been reading on here and have corrected a couple of newbie errors.

Started the cycle on June 27th by adding way too much ammonia (8+ppm) and corrected that by doing a big water change and getting it down to 4-5 ppm. I cranked up the heat on my heater to about 84 or so, but the actual temperature of the water was 88-90F for a while. Since about three days ago it is now holding steady at 84 or so. Not sure why they even bother putting temperatures on the heater, since it's way off!

I am using the API test kit, along with the Seachem ammonia alert (to save from testing constantly). Prime for a de-chloinator and added a little of media from the pond filter to try and kick start things. I didn't want to add too much from the pond to stop from getting any funky things growing in the tank, even though the pond is very clear - it's still open to animals, insects etc.

So, the readings as they stand now are:

Ammonia - 4-5ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm

Do you think that the higher temperatures hurt anything and I am basically starting from scratch, or is it just going to take a little longer from this point on?

I think your bacteria are fine from the high water temperatures, but to be safe I wouldn't put it up that high again. In discus tanks, the nitrifying bacteria live in 87 degree water.

If you have some additional media you can spare from your pond filter, I would add it to speed things up. Most creatures are not going to survive 4-5ppm ammonia even if they were transferred from the media. I would just swish it some pond water before adding it. What type of fish do you plan on overwintering from your pond?

Just goldfish. Probably bring in 3 or 4 to see if they grow a little quicker inside than in the frozen pond. The rest of the fish do well in the winter, but I am going to take out some mid-size ones.

I brought some rocks in from the pond and put them in my aquarium also, just to see if it speeds things up a little bit more.

Single tail? For this size tank, I would not move more than two mid-sized ones indoors or you will be changing the water constantly or their growth will be inhibited. If you have any babies, I would choose these instead to try & grow out indoors (2-3). If they are fancies, you can manage 3 (maybe 4) if you stay on top of your water changes. :)

Single tail? For this size tank, I would not move more than two mid-sized ones indoors or you will be changing the water constantly or their growth will be inhibited. If you have any babies, I would choose these instead to try & grow out indoors (2-3). If they are fancies, you can manage 3 (maybe 4) if you stay on top of your water changes. :)

I had some babies this year (last year I guess, but didn't notice). When I say mid size I mean about 2-3" or so. Depends what is happening in the fall really. I just wanted the tank to be ready so that I can catch some before the ice comes! 46 gallons should be good for 3-4 small-mid goldfish, no?

Good news too, I just did a water test and the Nitrites have appeared! Booya! :dance:

Attachments

• IMG_20120709_192651.jpg
    IMG_20120709_192651.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 151
Also, this what the tank looks like right now. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20120709_203049.jpg
    IMG_20120709_203049.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 114
Less is always more with goldies! Lets get your tank fully cycled & see how things look in the fall for the fish your considering moving inside. Moving from a pond to a small tank is quite stressful for a fish so its just something to keep in mind. Keep us posted on your cycle! :)

I brought some rocks in from the pond and put them in my aquarium also, just to see if it speeds things up a little bit more.

This will definitley help. The more bacteria you can add the better - it seeds the filter and substrate to speed things up.

Bacteria from your pond will be on the rocks and substrate (if you have any). I would grab a handful of gunk from the pond and put it in your filter media in your new tank.

As for ideas - have you thought about any plants?

I haven't really given live plants too much thought. My lighting system doesn't seem capable of making them grow. If there are some low light, low maintenance plants I would definitely consider it. I was going to bring in some plants from the pond, but I doubt they will fit or survive. In the pond there are mostly floating plants (water lettuce/hyacinth + water lillies). I was going to make a innukshuk from rock and glue it together with silicone. Will the silicone be ok in a tank with fish??

Just make sure its aquarium-safe silicone. You can do a search on tank reseals for the best & most economical products to use. You can try the water lettuce in your tank but it really needs adequate light to survive/thrive (I have experiemnted with this before!) and your goldies will devour the roots once in the tank. Theres quite a few plants that can survive low-light, low maintenance tanks (no co2/ferts). Anubias are pretty much indestructible & goldies wont touch them. Various mosses, java fern, possibily wisteria/hornwort & theres some others as well. Heres a more extensive list:

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

Thanks for the plant advice. I will look into it for sure.

I just got home and did a water test (pic attached):

Ammonia: 2-3ppm
Nitrite - 5ppm+?
Nitrate - 10-20ppm (They seem the same colour?!?)

I know I am going to regret this, but seems pretty easy so far... :ermm:

Attachments

• IMG_20120710_172307.jpg
    IMG_20120710_172307.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 62
No regrets!
Looks like you have sound advice, you care for your fish and you are doing things slowly. These three things combined - you can't lose!

Thanks for the encouragement! I knocked wood a couple of time when I said it, just to be sure.

When the ammonia gets down lower, how much should I add back in? 4ppm or drop it to 2ppm or so?

As you are keeping goldfish which can be quite messy, I'd dose it back up to 4ppm.
Others - feel free to chyme in here.

I'd rather have an "excess" of bacteria and be on the safe side :)

Ok, I was thinking about 4ppm. It will be a bit of an experiment, since I added way too much at the beginning of the cycle. When I was leaving for work today the "Ammonia Alert" was looking almost yellow (<0.02ppm), so it may well be zeroed out by the time I get home.

I'll do a water test and post results when I get home.

Thanks again :dance:

When your ammonia drops below 1ppm, dose it back up to 4ppm. Only add enough to bring the amm from where it is to 4- dont add the full dose unless its zero amm. Heres the ammonia calculator to make things a bit easier! :)

Calculator

Ok, did a water test tonight. When I got home it read 0ppm ammonia, which was what I was expecting. Dosed it back up to 4ppm.

Ammonoia - 4ppm
Nitrite: 5ppm plus
Nitrate: 10-20ppm

Attachments

• IMG_20120711_195552.jpg
    IMG_20120711_195552.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 49
So, when I woke up this morning the ammonia was at zero again. I put it at 3-4ppm last night about 6pm. Is it even possible to clear that much in 11 hours?

Anyways, I put it back up to about 4ppm (couple of capfulls of ammonia) as I didn't have time to wait around and check. Water test tonight. :fish2:

Back
Top Bottom