5.5 Gallon Office Tank Stocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Korwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

Well, I talked my boss into letting me set up a small tank in my office. I have a 5.5 gallon and wasn't sure what to put in it. I was thinking one male betta, and would love that, but I wasn't sure if I had any other options. Any ideas?

Also, what kind of plants and how many? I've been doing some research, and it sounds like Java ferns and Java moss are pretty low maintenance, so I'm good with those, but anything else? Also, how many plants should I be looking at getting for a tank that small. It's hard to find info on small tanks.

Thanks in advance! I will post pics once I get it up and running :)

One male betta would be perfect. Also java fern and anubias nana would work in that tank. I am sure Purrbox will chime in, you should look at her tanks in her signature. She has some fantastic nano tanks that are planted!

Heterandria formosa, six. :)

img_884659_0_b55300345f9eca269d1184c26fe91181.jpg

Or you could do a school of micro fish.

Tropical freshwater aquarium fish: Order fish

you can choose to sort fish any number of different ways including smallest to largest. I was looking at quite a few of these as options to go into my 14. You could do an entire school of Scarlet badis in a 5.5

That's a great link! Thank you. Those Scarlet badis guys are cute! I'll have to start looking around at the LFSs to see if I can find some. I really like the idea of a school of smaller fish as opposed to one (relatively) larger one.

But that leaves me with one more question... How many in a 5.5? I'm thinking like 5 or 6?

Thanks again.

Killies would be a great option, as would Micro Rasboras, or one of the small Rainbowfish like Gertrude's Rainbowfish, or school of Dwarf Cories would be fun too.

The amount and types of plants depend on how much light you're going to have over the aquarium. More light means more options, but possibly more work too. Since this is an office aquarium I'd probably look for no more than a medium light setup. In addition to the Java Moss and Java Ferns you're already looking at, you could also go with Anubias Nana and Anubias Nana Petite. There are some smaller Crypts that would be nice. Cryptocoryne x willisii would work and with a touch more light so would Cryptocoryne parva. Avoid Cryptocoryne Wendtii v 'Red' which is usually the one just labeled Cryptocorne Wendtii at the LFS, but you could go with one of the other varients as a background plant.

The amount and types of plants depend on how much light you're going to have over the aquarium. More light means more options, but possibly more work too. Since this is an office aquarium I'd probably look for no more than a medium light setup.

This definitely will not be a bright light tank. Thanks for the input!

Also, here it is: My office tank in all its non-decorated, not-yet-lighted glory
5.5office.jpg

5.5office_1_.jpg

It has a long way to go. The light and canopy should be arriving any day now in the mail. Once I get the light, I'll be planting. :D

Thanks again!

I've just bought myself a similarly sized tank and I'm quite sure you could fit two young Kribensis (Pulvicachromis Pulchar) in it! They are beautiful fish and whilst not being the most active, are quite hardy and easy to breed. So the time you spend in the office could not only benefit your wallet via working, but via taking care of your Kribensis brood!

There is a difference between what will fit in a tank and what will thrive.

Back
Top Bottom