5.5g - New to Aquariums - Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ambypays

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My boyfriend and I recently upgraded our three Comet Goldfish to a 5.5 gallon tank. We thought we were doing them a favor because we bought a filter and got them a bigger thank and we even got them three more friends since they had so much space. Now I'm reading all these forums about how you should do fish-less cycling and all this other stuff and realizing we haven't done anything like that! It's been about a four days since they have been in the tank and they seem fine, but I'm going to keep doing my research and figure out what I need to do for them to make sure it's a better environment for them.

Also, they smell really bad which they didn't before. As soon as I walk in my room I can smell them, is there anyway I can make the smell lessen?

Any advice is helpful or links to articles :)

Just so you know even one comet will very quickly outgrow that tank. As a general standard to the common goldfish rule you are looking at 40-55 gallons for all 3 comets.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We can help you cycle a tank no problem but your fish need to have an appropriate size tank first.

A 5 gallon is nowhere near big enough for them, they smell probably because they're overcrowded & your filter isn't cycled & can't cope with their waste, fish constantly produce urine which turns into ammonia.
Goldfish are messy fish & need very good filtration & space, comets can get around a foot long, live for 20+ years & imo should be kept in a pond, I'd suggest you either think about upgrading to a much larger tank or rehome them to someone who has a pond.

^ this is correct, a healthy tank produces very little small an usally it's very earthy like. Not even a single goldfish should go into something less then 20g an that's a fancy not a comment. I would rehome as many of them as possible

Back
Top Bottom