5.5gallon planted Tank Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big MaC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI everyone. I am working on making my Land Hermit Crabs 5.5gallon pool look totally awesome and also have benificial enhabitence in it.

I am looking at getting 2 malaysian trumpet snails, 2red cherry shrimp, and a ghost shrimp as decorative aniamls that would clean any potential algae.

As for the planted part. I am at a loss. What kind of plants would work well in low light? I want the most colourful plants that I can have, with the lowest maintence, and the best price.

So any tips or information would be really appreiciated.

Thanks Again :wave: MaC

Please explain how this pool works. Is it completely filled with water? Is it filtered? A general description of the setup will help us make better recommendations.

Land hermit crabs need both fresh and salt water pools that they can be fully submerged. I have two 5.5gallon tanks both fully filtered with a bubler

Is the bubbler just an air stone or is it a sponge filter? An air stone will help oxygenate the water, but it's not really a filter.

Are these pools set up inside the crabitat?

Is there some kind of substrate on the bottom of the pools?

Is the bubbler just an air stone or is it a sponge filter? An air stone will help oxygenate the water, but it's not really a filter.

Its an air-stone and I also have a regular fish tank filter in it

Are these pools set up inside the crabitat?

Yes they are

Is there some kind of substrate on the bottom of the pools?

Regular Aquarium Gravel Rocks

And btw I m a girl... :lol:

Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is you'll struggle to find very colorful plants that will survive under low light. The good news is that you can use the bog plants that are often sold as "aquatic", but really aren't.

For the freshwater pool, I think I'd go with lucky bamboo or arrowhead. These are both bog plants, so they can't be fully submerged, but I think they'd add a lot to the crabitat by sticking up out of the water. If you want a fully submersible low-light plant, look at java ferns. Attach them to driftwood or rock for best results. They don't do well out of water. I lost several leaves on mine when I moved.

For the saltwater pool, look at mangroves. I don't have any experience with saltwater, but I've seen people use mangroves in their saltwater sumps with great success.

Back
Top Bottom