.5 ammonia, 5.0 nitrates and 0 nitrites???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robinp

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i am in the middle of cycling and it took alot of cleaning but i finally got the ammonia to a not so high reading. i am really confused at why im registering nitrates and not nitrites. there is 0 ammonia and nitrate in my tap water. can anyone help with some insight?

Whoa... Back up the truck a minute...

Couple of questions:

what do you mean cleaning to get the ammonia level down?
How are you cycling?
What's your ammonia source?
What all is in the tank?
What temp?

I seriously doubt your tap has 0 nitrates. Where are you from?

i took all the new gravel out and cleaned it and i am keeping out until the tank is fully cycled. there was alot of debris all over the place (my ammonia was 8.0 +) i kept the sub from another established tank in there to get the bacteria from that.

i have 4 very patient fish in there and i have the tank at 79 degrees.

i tested the tap yesterday and it registered 0

i have the liquid testing kit.

Your probably getting nitrates because some of the bacteria exists that is converting nitrite or nitrate (although I still doubt that tap water test). You should look up your water report online for your municipality.

Can't help ya on the cycling with fish thing, not a believer.

Good luck though

Bacteria will establish in the gravel, so I wouldn't leave it out. And cleaning it and stirring up alot of debri is gonna cause ammonia. :) I would leave the gravel in, and do small daily or every other day water changes to keep the ammonia low.

I agree, nitrate probably came from existing bacteria...probably from what you put in the tank from the established tank.

What size tank is it?

Back
Top Bottom