5 gallon/fishless cycle/betta mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElanaJoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! I'm a newbie, pretty much. Just some small tank betta experience. And failed past attempts at ADF and snails. And lots of research online...but sometimes too late ;)

Here is my disclaimer, I HATE the small little containers people try to pawn off as suitable for a betta, or the stupid 1.75 gallon I currently own being marketed for glofish (!?!?). That said, please don't give me a lecture about no tank less than a 10 gallon should exist. I know a lot of you fall into that camp. I know it's more difficult to keep the water stable, etc. I would LOVE to have the space for a big tank, I just don't. my house is 700 sq ft... We will be moving in a year or so. So please spare my conscious!

Sorry, I just wanted to get that out of the way because all threads eventually go in that direction... Anyways, for my daughter's 9th bday, I bought what is supposed to be a 5 gallon, and I am starting a fishless cycle with a dead frozen shrimp and some good bacteria laden media from my fishstore guy. This will be the upgraded home for "Shiny" our betta girl who is in a 1.75 heated tank at the moment.

Here are my questions:

1) WHY did it take 4 gallons of water to fill (within an inch or 2) the 5 gallon I bought? Is this like an industry standard where everyone knows a 5 gallon is really 4, or did I get ripped off? And when we discuss stocking options for a 5 gallon, is that going to be accurate? this is the tank, yes it has in integrated filter, but I still assumed I could pour 5 gallons of water in there... ???Top Fin® 5 Gallon Glass Aquarium | Aquariums | PetSmart

2) fishless cycling: IS there a correlation to how much ammonia buildup happens now to how well the tank will keep up with the bioload down the road? How many big frozen shrimp should I have in there? Do I keep adding shrimp, or just let the first ones rot? (I put them in a stocking so the it will stay "contained".)

3) What CAN I do with my "5" gallon?? I know any of the schooling fish are a no-go. I know shrimp are a good bet. Can I do 2 ADF, the betta and shrimp? OR can I do a couple ottos, shrimp and betta? I love that the ottos will clean algea, but the corys are super cute. Will the ottos and corys school together? Any other brilliant ideas? Thanks! One day I aspire to have an AMAZING fishtank, or two. But for now, I just want to make do with what I have!

I appreciate you support and ideas! Thanks!!!

The 5G could go with 6 Boraras Brigittae aka Chilis and a little group of 6 Habrosus Cories, these are both nano sized fish. With weekly pwc of adequate amount that should be fine. You could choose the Cories and skip the Chilis for more room. also sometimes the Betta get in a snit about tank mates, even females. You just have to watch them.

As for the cutie pie Cories, there would be about 3 Habrosus for one normal Cory size.

Not to hop into a debate of tank size but just to inform you, there are tall sized tanks which allow more gallonage with the same amount of foot print on the stand. Just so you know. A 12G Edge tank for one.

Prabably gonna have a stinky tank with a big shrimp! You can use a small piece maybe a 1/3 inch part of the body of the shrimp would be fine to start it out.

The 5G could go with 6 Boraras Brigittae aka Chilis and a little group of 6 Habrosus Cories, these are both nano sized fish. With weekly pwc of adequate amount that should be fine. You could choose the Cories and skip the Chilis for more room. also sometimes the Betta get in a snit about tank mates, even females. You just have to watch them.

As for the cutie pie Cories, there would be about 3 Habrosus for one normal Cory size.

Not to hop into a debate of tank size but just to inform you, there are tall sized tanks which allow more gallonage with the same amount of foot print on the stand. Just so you know. A 12G Edge tank for one.

Prabably gonna have a stinky tank with a big shrimp! You can use a small piece maybe a 1/3 inch part of the body of the shrimp would be fine to start it out.

THANKS I will look them up!

It's funny you mention height vs length... I remember reading that fish having more swim room length wise than height. BUT that was in regards to small tank vs small tank, like a taller five gallon would stock less fish than one with a bigger footprint, esp with fish like corys... Until I read this, it I didn't really think about looking for more gallons within the same footprint as a 5 gall.... oh well. Money is an issue too, and I love that the tank was 40 bucks! I was really not ready to spend a small fortune on a specialty tank. But on tank size, is it weird that it only hold 4 gallons?

Also, GREAT NEWS. I got my water tested today by my local fish guy, and I had optimum ammonia levels! I hope there isn't an issue with it getting up so fast... I took the shrimp out. And now the waiting game :)

It is true for many fish need the width for swimming.

Say Neon Tetras, Zebra Danios especially NEED that width to enjoy their swimming and be able to behave more like natural habitat.

Other fish like to flit from area to area, and although all fish will swim across a space some naturally just move in small bursts or small jerky bursts (Chilis) rather that in long (crazy) bursts (as does a Zebra Danio).

Suited to be able to enjoy more of the space all around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom