5 Gallon Hex Tank Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpulido0316

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

First post here so bare with me.

I just recently, as in still don't even have it with me yet, purchased a Marineland 5 Gallon Eclipse Hexagon Aquarium. My boyfriend and I have decided that an aquarium would be the best course to go for our lifestyle, (i.e. dorm life, decent budget, and busy days). I know that small tanks need more maintenance than larger tanks due to their size. I've done tons of research on if this was something we could do successfully.

I'm here because my biggest concern right now is if I am going to be overworking the system with the amount of fish we were thinking of getting. We were going to let the tank cycle until it reached appropriate levels. We were then going to introduce a couple (maybe 2-3) Red Cherry Shrimp or Ghost Shrimp (Cherry preferred). After the shrimp, I was hoping that I could introduce some Ember Tetras (out of all of the nano fish I came across these were my favorite at 0.8in). I know they're shoaling fish so I wanted to get at least 4, maybe even 5 if that wasn't pushing it. I just want healthy AND happy fish. I want to make sure that the fish will be happy in their home, but know that I cannot increase to any other tank size as space and travel is an issue. Also no betta fish offers please, if push comes to shove we will opt out to a shrimp only tank.

I also wanted a planted tank with plenty of plants to help with ammonia spikes. So a list of low-light nano plants would really help.

TL;DR: Long story short, I need help knowing if 2-3 Red Cherry Shrimp and 4-6 Ember Tetras would be too much of a bioload on my planted 5 gallon Hex tank.

Thanks so much, sorry it was so long, just wanted to be thorough.
Happy swimming :fish2:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have owned fish before in the past and I am up for the challenge of part water changes and as frequently as they would have to be for a small tank.

Last edited:
I think it sounds fine, very low bioload. I have a 5g with 6 male Endlers and red rili shrimp, no idea how many of them are in there at this point :whistle:

Honestly, if you go slow you could start with 4 embers, let everything settle, and then maybe add a few more.

For plants you could try java fern, small anubias, dwarf sag, small crypts, marimo moss balls (my shrimp love to pick at them). I'm low tech with plants and have had lots of luck with moneywort as well.

Awesome! Thanks so much! How many shrimp do you think I could have in there at the maximum? I feel like they would help keep everything just a bit cleaner lol. Oh ok. Should I just keep the levels of the tank after I've added the fish to figure out when to add more? Awesome! I really hope they're going to be super happy. :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We have a (lightly) planted 5.5 gallon and our stock plan is 3 ghost shrimp 4 endlers and a mystery snail :)

We planted with narrow leaf java fern, small anubias, water wisteria and 1 marimo moss ball. We may get another moss ball at some point :)

I was like you and was very nervous about overstocking. I didn't want to stress out my Endler boys but I also wanted there to be enough of them to be happy. I'm going to start with 4 and possibly add another once I know how they fair.

We're nearing the end of our cycle! Can't wait. Let us know what you end up with.

Awesome! Thanks so much! How many shrimp do you think I could have in there at the maximum? I feel like they would help keep everything just a bit cleaner lol. Oh ok. Should I just keep the levels of the tank after I've added the fish to figure out when to add more? Awesome! I really hope they're going to be super happy. :)

You could start with 6 or so. Depending on hiding places and you plants you might end up with shrimplets!

We have a (lightly) planted 5.5 gallon and our stock plan is 3 ghost shrimp 4 endlers and a mystery snail :)

We planted with narrow leaf java fern, small anubias, water wisteria and 1 marimo moss ball. We may get another moss ball at some point :)

I was like you and was very nervous about overstocking. I didn't want to stress out my Endler boys but I also wanted there to be enough of them to be happy. I'm going to start with 4 and possibly add another once I know how they fair.

We're nearing the end of our cycle! Can't wait. Let us know what you end up with.

Sounds similar to my setup. Do you have a photo of it on the forum?

Sounds similar to my setup. Do you have a photo of it on the forum?

Hi!

It's in my little boy's room (he's 2.5yo) so it's very...random with all the things he's picked out, but yes, here's a picture of it so far:

Before moss ball and light upgrade:

IMG_20150215_163628.jpg

After moss ball and light upgrade:

IMG_20150215_174142.jpg

He made the background himself ;)

Hi!

It's in my little boy's room (he's 2.5yo) so it's very...random with all the things he's picked out, but yes, here's a picture of it so far:

Before moss ball and light upgrade:

After moss ball and light upgrade:

He made the background himself ;)

That's awesome! When my kids were younger I let them 'help' put together a community 10g, certainly was interesting!

Sorry mpulido0316, didn't mean to hijack your thread!

I have embers in my 10 gal tank and in my opinion you could do a school of 6 as well as some cherry shrimp.and be fine. The ghost shrimp won't multiply in fresh water, however the RCS will but only to the amt that the tank will support. I love my ember and have found them to be very tough, hardy, peaceful little fish. I have mine with, neons, glowlight tetras, and one male albino BN pleco. Alison

Its ok, I didn't mind! :lol: I'm super grateful for all of your advice and I definitely feel a lot better about my stocking issues. I can't wait to get fish. I'm so excited! I just want the tank to get here already so I can start the cycling process! I'm so glad I can add a few more fish and shrimp than I first originally thought. They're going to be so happy and so will I. I'll definitely be lingering around the site for help if I need it and I'll post updates and questions once I have the process started too. You guys are awesome! Thanks for everything! :)

Back
Top Bottom