5 gallon Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaShark

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a spare 5 gallon that is just sitting there running. Im not sure if its cycled or not, id make sure to check before I add any animals. But right now theres some plants, driftwood and pond snails. Id really like to be able to use the black moon sand thats in there already. Id like something that isnt super maintenance. Any ideas are welcome, just no spiders or bettas. Thank you

I heard they breed like crazy though and im unsure if any pet shops near me would take them off my hands.

trust me guppies r the way to go either 6 or 7 females would be fine and even if you get a male they would eat the babies

I doubt the tank is still cycled; it needs an ammonia source to keep the bacteria fed and snails wouldn't be enough.

5 gals is pretty limiting; I wouldn't add that many guppies; they are messy and multiply fast, you could do two but that's about it.

I'd look into some nano fish, like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio. You could add some dwarf shrimp too.

A betta would also be a great choice and has a lot of personality and will fit comfortably in the 5

I have a 5.5 gallon with Red Cherry Shrimp and 5x Galaxy Rasboras, aka Celestial Pearl Danios. Stick to nano fish if possible, but a few male guppies would also be ok. The shrimp have a low bioload, so you can have at least 8 with room for breeding in addition to a small amount of fish in that tank. They'll be a good cleanup crew for uneaten food that hits the bottom.

I have a spare 5 gallon that is just sitting there running. Im not sure if its cycled or not, id make sure to check before I add any animals. But right now theres some plants, driftwood and pond snails. Id really like to be able to use the black moon sand thats in there already. Id like something that isnt super maintenance. Any ideas are welcome, just no spiders or bettas. Thank you

There are plenty of options :)

Any of the freshwater shrimp would be great. Red Cherry is the way to go if you've never kept Shrimp before. Very hardy and great color.

A solitary Betta

A solitary Pea Puffer

Some Nano fish such as Celestial Pearl Danios or Chili Rasboras. If you want something native to the US, Least Killifish are great tiny fish. Although with all of these, I personally would keep them in a bigger tank although they can work.

Five gallons is such a small tank, and for my personal ideal use plants growing. I feel the plants are more tolerant of tempature and water condition swings if they are not prolonged. For its the size of the tank, and current environmental condition (Winter mode) that bothers me with this tank size...:cool: Oh would consider use for growing foods for fish...brine shrimp or using to culture other foods...like worms. (y) PP

Back
Top Bottom