5 Gallon tank new tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Revenantwing

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well i have a 5 gallon tank with an apple snail and Betta. Are there any fish that i can happen to slide in? I was thinking about Platies and neon tetras but others are telling me thats too much. Would it really made a difference if i added 4 more tiny neon tetras or 1-2 Platies?

yes,a big difference,they wouldnt have nearly enough swim room

i know but their fish do look pretty happy and clean. Of course i do care which is why im asking on the forums :] and so you are saying i shouldnt even add 1 additional fish?

+1 on no platties; on neon tetras there's a bit more debate.. I don't think I'd put them in such close quarters with a betta though. ADFs will eat specialized frog foods that you can buy, and frozen foods, but don't give them freeze dried or pellet or they can bloat and have digestive problems.

About the platies i heard you should add fish as a group because betta can start bullying that one fish and to get 2 or more just in case. Tetras i too dont know. but i can try 1 or 2 and see if it works. If it does maybe i can add 2 more and have 4. I already have an apple snail and im not sure about the ADFs

No no no no no fish. The Betta will survive, Shrimp, snails, or an ADF would work. Platties, neons, and any other tetra, would not.

I think no fish should be in a 5 gal besides a betta. And even a betta wouldn't have room in a 5 gal if it was sharing it's space. I think a snail is great. Shrimp are fine too but will probably be eaten. If you're brave can try a couple ADF's but I wouldn't. Tetras are stressed when not kept in a proper school of at least 7 and IMO 20 gal is minimum for them. Platties I think even a 10 gal is pushing it.

I have to disagree with Siva on the Tetras. My Tetras have only been stressed and territorial in full schools. Just ended in disaster this last weekend when I got black skirts to finish the school for my white skirts.

Nevertheless, I too don't recommend having any other fish in there... Bettas aren't friendly for one, but two, the five gallon tank isn't really going to be big enough. Even in a ten gallon, the relatively low bio-load is made up for in the fact that a Betta is very territorial and requires a lot of space.

I do agree that shrimp might be good tank mates... May get eaten, but a ghost shrimp is less than a dollar, usually 30 cents where I've seen them, and good cleaners too.

In general, they are schooling fish and it isn't advised to keep them in small groups.

They have a tiny bio-load so it's okay to get more if you want but 2 is fine to start :)

Back
Top Bottom