5 gallon tank - suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beatrix

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

Could use some advice. My daughter has had a betta named Fluffy for nearly three years. He lives in a five gallon heated tank, with filtration and live plants. All in all, he's having a pretty good time of things. However, he doesn't seem to be doing very well at the moment :( and it may soon be time to consider what to do with the tank. My dd would like to have several fish, and I was looking at the possibility of some tetras, guppies, or endlers, as well as possibly a Red Cherry Shrimp. We can't upgrade our tank at the moment, so I need to work withing the parameters of a 5 gallon tank. Thanks :)

Hi everyone,

Could use some advice. My daughter has had a betta named Fluffy for nearly three years. He lives in a five gallon heated tank, with filtration and live plants. All in all, he's having a pretty good time of things. However, he doesn't seem to be doing very well at the moment :( and it may soon be time to consider what to do with the tank. My dd would like to have several fish, and I was looking at the possibility of some tetras, guppies, or endlers, as well as possibly a Red Cherry Shrimp. We can't upgrade our tank at the moment, so I need to work withing the parameters of a 5 gallon tank. Thanks :)

Welcome to AA! :) you could do:
6 ember tetras
4 Pygmy Cories
Shrimp.

I wouldn't do corys in a 5 gal; a 10 maybe for pygmys or dwarfs, but nothing smaller than that.

You could do a group of 6 nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio (they aren't the easiest to find though). Mother tetras/danios/rasboras either grow too large or are too active for a 5 gal (like Neons); you could add some shrimp too. Or you could do another betta. :)

If you are willing to order online, go to The Wet Spot Tropical Fish. They have lots of nano fish for sale. VERY good prices, too.

Back
Top Bottom