5 Gallon Tank - What Fish to Purchase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TripleB67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife has set the limit to my new 'family' aquarium to a 5 gallon corner tank for our desk in the kitchen :ermm:

Since that is the max size I will be getting for a while, I have a couple questions:

1) What is a colorful fish (other than a Guppy or a Betta) that would do well in a 5 gallon aquarium? (I assume 1 would be the max number in this size of tank, correct?)

In just looking around a local pet store, I like the looks of the dwarf gourami and several of the cichlids.

2) What else could I put in the aquarium (snail/shrimp/algae eater/loach/knifefish/catfish/etc) that wouldn't be bothered by the fish I put in it?

Thank you for any and all help!

TripleB67

5 gallons is not enough for even one cichlid, maybe 1 platy or a couple neon tetras 5 gallons is really limited. If you could talk her in to a 10 gal you could have a nice little community small but would allow you more than 1 fish. I don't even think you can do a gold fish in a tank that small

5 gallons is not enough for even one cichlid, maybe 1 platy or a couple neon tetras 5 gallons is really limited. If you could talk her in to a 10 gal you could have a nice little community small but would allow you more than 1 fish. I don't even think you can do a gold fish in a tank that small

gold fish need far larger than 5 gal. I believe it's recommended that you start off with a min of 20 gal for a goldfish, maybe even 30, than an additional 10 for each goldie after.

I would also stay away from neons. They are really active and although very small need more space than 5 gal. Also need to be kept with at least 5 of them.

I have to agree with tam-tam here. The only school of fish which is small and isn't that active is chilli Rasboras

Thanks for the corrections on there, I was throwing out ideas I knew you guys would help. The only fish I was certain of was the cichlids can't be housed that small, I have 60 gallon cichlid tank

Chilli Rasboras Cherry shrimp,

Don't remember seeing a Chili Rasboras, but in looking at some pics they look pretty sweet. Would I just get one for the 5 gallon tank or could I get more than one?

Were you saying the cherry shrimp would work with th CR? Would others work with the CR as well (ie: snail/algae eater/loach/knifefish/catfish/etc) ?

I would have loved to put a dwarf gourami, but obviously 5 gallons is too small for one of them.

Thanks for all the input so far!!!

TripleB67

Also galaxy rasboras but with these rasbora species you need a well planted tank to house them in but you could probably keep 3-4 of them in a tank that size if done right. Have you looked into cycling of a tank? Will this be your first?

Have you looked into cycling of a tank? Will this be your first?

I have recycled one tank previously (several years ago) and everything seemed to go as it was supposed to. I'll probably need to read over the process again though.

TripleB67

You could have-
5 chili Rasbora
5 galaxy Rasbora/ celestial pearl Danio
Shrimp
Or
One scarlet badis
Five galaxy or chili Rasbora
Shrimp

In addition to the fish mentioned, there are also dwarf spot rasboras and ember tetras. Also, a sparkling gourami or 2.
Another direction is pygmy sunfish with least killifish and red cherry shrimp. A nerite snail would also be a good addition to a tank that size.

Back
Top Bottom