5-N-1 test strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The test strips are notoriously inaccurate so I wouldn't trust them too much. I would invest in the API Master Freshwater Test Kit. They are right around $30 but can be found on sale for less occasionally. The liquid reagent kit will give you more accurate readings.

You do need to know your PH but I wouldn't go with strips. They are not very accurate at all. Liquid kit is the way to go for sure. Why spend money to test something when it's not going to give you the right answer?

A liquid master test kit may seem more expensive but when you think of the long run it actually is cheaper. You get far more tests for your money and they are actually accurate.

You can buy them at petco, Petsmart, any LFS should have them. Or you can try amazon or eBay. Usually cheaper but there's the "waiting period" for shipping.

If you're in the USA, you can get the test kit at kensfish.com for less than $18. Great customer service, too.

pH probes are even more accurate and easy. Just put it in the water and get a digital reading.

pH probes are even more accurate and easy. Just put it in the water and get a digital reading.

While I agree that probes are much more reliable and accurate they are not practical (price wise) to the average fish keeper. The API kit is all you need to keep an eye on your parameters.

Do I really need them

yes you need to be able to test your PH and know where it stands but don't bother with the strips as they will not give you a proper reading. Get a liquid test kit, no point in testing for something if you aren't even getting the proper number.

Ditto, you need them. Being able to test your water parameters ensures that your fish tanks are being properly maintained. It's the responsible thing to do. End of story.

I never got them and I had my water tested and they told that I don't need them that all my levels are fine

I think I said this in another thread about the strips. There far from accurate and a waste of money IMO.

Once they are opened and the air hits them they deteriorate.

I have used strips for years and they work fine. If you need to know if your ph is 7.5 or 7.7 then use the more expensive kits. Like any test kit they get less accurate with age.

julielover said:
I have used strips for years and they work fine. If you need to know if your ph is 7.5 or 7.7 then use the more expensive kits. Like any test kit they get less accurate with age.

Thats what great about this forum. We can agree to disagree and still get along :)

Back
Top Bottom