55 gal cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rotorhead22

Aquarium Advice Freak
55 gal cycling question-Help

I am new to AA and I have been cycling(fishless) my 55 gallon since 2/2. I just took readings this evening and show:

NO3= 5 ppm
NH3/NH4= .25 ppm
N02= 5 ppm
pH= 8.2
Temp= 81 deg F

Question is should I dose the tank with ammonia to get the NH3/NH4 levels back up to at least 3 ppm?

When should the Nitrite level start to drop?

thanks-
rotorhead22

So I dosed ammonia last night by adding about 6 ml which should have driven the NH3/NH4 up to about 3 ppm.

I took readings again this eveining (2/8/12)

NO3= 5 ppm
NH3/NH4= .25 ppm
N02= 5 ppm
pH= 8.2
Temp= 81 deg F

The readings are the same as last night. Where did all the ammonia go???

If it was indeed consumed, does theat mean my nitirites are actually higher than 5 ppm?

I have read in the forum about Nitrite peaking at "2 weeks." I am wondering if I am that stage and by being patient and keep up with the daily ammonia dosing to 3 - 4 ppm, I will start to see my Nitrite levels decrease to nil, ammonia consumed within ?? hours, and Nitrate levels reach ~160 ppm.

Do I have it right?

-rotorhead22 :confused:

Welcome to AA! Try looking through this guide as it should answer most of your questions. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

This is an excerpt from the guide that might answer your question:
"In a fully cycled tank, your readings should always be ammonia-0, nitrItes-0 and levels of nitrAtes can vary. If you can add 4ppm of ammonia, and 24 hours later there is no trace of ammonia or nitrItes, your tank is fully cycled with a strong bio-filter. "

It looks like you're on your way so just hang in there!

Yes, your nitrites will be above 5 ppm, since that's how high it reads--I'm assuming you're using API? I've read that once you hit the nitrites stage, you can drop your ammonia dosing to 2 ppm instead of 4, just as an option :) But yes, just keep the ammonia dosed--you're definitely getting there! :D Do what you planned--keep dosing ammonia until it and nitrites hit 0 in 24 hrs over a couple days in a row (don't worry about how high the nitrates get--you're not waiting for a specific number on those, only the first two).

Yep, keep dosing. The nitrite stage is the LONGEST and the worst part of the cycke ime. Keep a close eye on that pH, if you notice it sart to drop grab those buckets and do a 50% water change to get the pH back up.

A pH crash can set back the cycle.

So I am now on day 10 of my 55 gal fishless cycle. I think it is progressing nicely and may be close to completing the cycle. Ammonica is being totally consumed within 24 hours, and my Nitrites are finally coming down; Nitrates are increasing.:)

Here is my updated Nitrogen Cycle Plot

I am currently researching fish species for my tank. Will be going with a Lake Malawi stock. I haven't seen many complete guides or recommended stocking ideas with pics. I went to the lfs the other day and the choice of "African Cichlids" is overwheling.:eek:

Attachments

• 55 gal Cycling 2-11-12.jpg
    55 gal Cycling 2-11-12.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 102
55 gallon Nitrogen Cycle is complete!

Day 11 of the Fishless Cycle

Finally, 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites.(y) Plot below

55 gal Cycling 2-13-12a.jpg

I am going to continue to dose 4 ppm ammo until I get my fish.

In the interim, I will be working on a Malawi Cichlid compatibility matrix to help me decide which Chichlids to choose based on agression, size. It will have pics of the fish as well. I don't know about anybody else but trying to decide which fish to go with is overwhelming.:fish2:

I am really interested to see that malawi cichlid compatibility matrix when you finish it, my boyfriend is currently planning a 90 gallon malawi tank too :)
And I really like your cycle chart btw, much nicer looking than our spreadsheet!

I tested ammo and nitrite after dosing to 4 ppm last night. After 12 hours my ammo and nitrites are officially zero. Cycle has completed after 12 days. :)

-rotorhead22

So I still haven't gotten any Malawi Cichlids. Tank is fully cycled and I continue to dose with ammonia. Here is a picture of the current set up. I have added more Tx Holey rock to provide hiding spots. I am considerign painting the background black (it is currently blue).

I am first planning on getting 5 juvenile P.Acei and 4 Juvenile Female Yellow Labs and 1 juvenile Male yellow Lab. I would also like to get a few P.socolfi.

I hope this mix is okay. I have started populating the Malawi Cichlid compatibility matrix which I will share once I get it fully populated.

-rotorhead22

Attachments

• DSC00452 Final.jpg
    DSC00452 Final.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 52
Looks great. That was a quick cycle. Good for you, I am on day 6 on my 55 I can only hope it is as quick as yours....

Back
Top Bottom