55 gal w/seed fishless log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheJT

Aquarium Advice Activist
Day 1
Ammo 4.0

All that is this tank is a bubble curtain, heater, filter, and gravel.

I moved over some seeded filter material so let's see how long this takes. :)

Cool :). I'll be following along.

Did you end up finding liquid ammonia or are you using the shrimp?

I actually got the liquid. I had to take my kids home to green bay and was able to find an Ace there and there it was on the shelf. Lol. I got a full gallon cuz 700 miles is a long way to go for ammonia lol.

TheJT said:
I actually got the liquid. I had to take my kids home to green bay and was able to find an Ace there and there it was on the shelf. Lol. I got a full gallon cuz 700 miles is a long way to go for ammonia lol.

Haha. A gallon should be enough for 100 cycles...and also cleaning every window in your house a dozen times over, lol. Good luck on your cycle...having some established media means you're already off to a great start.

Day 2:

Ammo 2.0

Dosed back up to 4.0ppm.

I'll start testing for NO2 when the ammo starts dropping faster.

Ok I've negligent in posting. I been busy. Today is the first day I've had anything to report. Fir the previous 5 days my ammo kept dropping slowly and I kept dosing back up to 4 ppm. I tested on Thursday and my ammo had gotten down to 1 so again back up to 4 ppm. I tested today and my ammo was at 0 so I checked my NO2, 5 ppm. Dosed the ammo back up to 4 and now should prolly start testing daily.
:)

Day 11:

Ammo 0.25
NO2 5.0

Dosed ammo back up to 4.0

Please say a prayer for the 2900+ families that lost loved ones on the anniversary of this tragic day 10 years ago.

Day 12:

Ammo 0.25
NO2. 5.0
NO3 5 ppm

Just waiting for the NO2 to drop off. Hopefully it will happen before my wife and I find out what gender our baby is. (2 weeks)

Awesome. If the no2 was 5+ and has dropped to 1ppm...you're almost home.

I assume you added a good portion of seeded media?

*And congrats on the baby :)

Day 20:

Ammo 0
Nitrites ??? Off the charts.

Should I reduce my ammo input or stop all together till the no2 is readable?

How high are your nitrAtes? If they're super high as well...a massive water change to bring them down into a readable range is a good idea. Just don't be surprised if they shoot right back up after the pwc...it's all part of the process.

I wouldn't stop adding ammonia...we want to keep the ammo > no2 bacteria fed. You can reduce the input down to ~1ppm for a few days...but I wouldn't leave the level low for more than 3-4 days max. You don't want the bacteria to start adjusting to the lower levels.

Day 21:

Ok Eco here are the numbers. Tell me what ya think.

Ammo 0-.5 successfully converting 4 pmm every 24 hrs

NO2. Off the charts. Will upload a pic but it's purple with a good bit of red.

NO3 5.0 ppm. This same amount that is in my tap water.

I'm personally thinking that toning down the ammo for a few days to try and get the NO2 readable is good idea but very short term (bandaid on a gun shot wound). But I'm not sure what the long term solution is. Maybe just to keep on and it will come down on it's own/ complete the cycle. I do think I should be showing some NO3. Just a thought but could the extreme high amour of NO2 be suffocating the NO3?

TheJT said:
Day 21:

Ok Eco here are the numbers. Tell me what ya think.

Ammo 0-.5 successfully converting 4 pmm every 24 hrs

NO2. Off the charts. Will upload a pic but it's purple with a good bit of red.

NO3 5.0 ppm. This same amount that is in my tap water.

I'm personally thinking that toning down the ammo for a few days to try and get the NO2 readable is good idea but very short term (bandaid on a gun shot wound). But I'm not sure what the long term solution is. Maybe just to keep on and it will come down on it's own/ complete the cycle. I do think I should be showing some NO3. Just a thought but could the extreme high amour of NO2 be suffocating the NO3?

Yeah, if you haven't done it yet, a massive water change to drop the no2 down to readable levels is a good thing. Otherwise you can just let it ride as long as the ammonia is still dropping. That's your call. Doing a couple pwc's can knock a couple days off...but people also do fishless cycles every day without changing a drop of water. Personally I'd suggest doing a massive (like 90%) water change to drop the no2 down at least once.

I think you should definitely be seeing no3. You're using an API Master kit, right? I'm sure you are, but make sure you're shaking the heck out of the #2 solution for 30 seconds, shake the whole tube for a full minute then let it sit for 5 minutes before recording your results.

Yeah. Using the API kit. I know I'm doing the test correct cuz I get different results from my 10 gal (usually between 20 & 40). As I haven't got my water changer yet, let's give it a little bit longer to convert.

Day 22

Ammo 0
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 80

Made a cpl changes from yesterday. Dropped the ammo dose to 1 ppm, took out the java moss (just didn't care for it), and lowered the temp from 80 to 76f and it cycled. Well I'm at least confident it's cycled. Gonna add 4 ammo tonight see if it converts then add fish if it is. :D

Back
Top Bottom