55 Gallon Planted Community HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbooth9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will be buying another 55 gallon tank in the next couple of days and want a peaceful, planted tank. I currently have an Oscar tank so I am looking at getting into a more peaceful community tank.
I have never done a planted tank before so I am just curious to what I will need to start this tank. I am in no rush to get this tank started and I want to do it right. My question is: What exactly will I need to keep a 55 gallon planted community tank healthy?
I know I will need the obvious:
Heater
Filter
Light
but past that I am clueless

Also if someone could help me put together a stock list that would be awesome. I was thinking something like this:
10-12 Cory Cats (some panda some peppered)
20 cardinal tetras
20 rummynose tetras
20 celestial pearl danios
10 cherry red shrimp
Any suggestions to that list?

What substrate/plants should I look into getting for this tank.

Thanks for the help:)

Pick up some flourish root tabs, you'll more than likely need them. You'll get a lot of opinions on substrates. I haven't planted it yet but I have a 20 tall with black flora max in it. It washed easily. I believe it says you don't need to wash it but I did anyway. Just got my black flourite in the mail yesterday. I haven't washed it yet, but from what I've read its a real pain. The flourite will be going in a 20 long. I wanted 2 different substrates so I could test them out and know for the future. Almost went eco complete but decided flourite in the end. I have a few plants right now planted in the pool filter sand in my 55 (root tabs). I'll probably pick up a package deal of plants from ebay once I get the 20 long substrate in.

Probably not much help. The flourite was 20 dollars I think off dr foster and smiths website. The eco complete was 24-26 I think. I bought the flora max from petsmart for 18.

If you are planning on adding cherry shrimp then I imagine you will be adding plants that will require Co2 so you may want to look into that as well. I have eco complete in my tank and love it but as pelphrey pointed out it is really a matter of preference on your part.

If you get plants like rotala, I wouldn't get shrimp because most rotala need copper to keep their red coloration. Shrimp can be killed by copper in the water.

Back
Top Bottom