55 Gallon Planted Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm upgrading from a 10 gallon to a 55! Got the tank, stand, and overflow for $100 from CG. I'm planning on using the 10 as a sump. I could really use some help as I'm more into SW and feel like a newbie in the FW world.

1. I bought 2 bags of Organic Miracle Grow soil...does this work? If not what should I use? And do I need to add fertilizers or something mixed in with it?

2. What mag-drive model would work for my tank. Is 550 gph good or do I need more? What's the difference from the classic model (drfostersmith) or the supreme (marinedepot)? Trying to spend less $.

3. Should I cycle the tank or use the water and old filter media from my 10?

:thanks: Really excited to get this running soon.

I would look into dry ferts to boost trace elements in your substrate. I have only used miracle grow organics in pond settings, so I am completely in the dark on that question. I do know more than a few people on here use eco max, I used a fluorite (I think) plant substrate for my planted, I have also used sand with dry ferts (top layer) and had success using. It won't help a lot but every little bit helps- use media from your 10g to help boost your cycle, and I'm a multiple HOB user and only use circulators in my saltwater tanks, so I can't answer your mag drive question either....Hope I helped a little.

What size bags are the soil in? You need an 1-1/2" of soil and then you need an 1-1/2" cap layer of sand, small gravel, or a plant substrate such as Eco-complete.

Using the water from the 10g won't help but using the media or actual filter from the 10g will help with cycling.

@ktomminello: Thanks for the ideas of substrates. I might have a little section of sand depending how I aquascape it. You did help thanks.

@Rivercats: I bought 2 large bags. It looks like the potting mix soil is the better choice so I think I have to return the others. I don't have the gravel yet. Also, can I dry out clay from the craft store and grind it up to mix in? Oh yeah, the bacteria isn't suspended in the water column, right? Thanks for the advice also.

I think I'll have to take the media out of the 10, put in a small filter on the 50 and run that for a while. Should I add pure ammonia while it's cycling?

What you want for a dirted tank is Organic Potting Soil, not potting mix, and be sure it's Organic. I used Laterite clay powder as a light sprinkle on top of the dirt, under the cap but many on here talk about using the red clay from art supply stores. I wouldn't grind it up, I'd just smash it up into chunks that are marble sized or smaller and then use the powder on top of the soil also.

Alright so what I need to buy so far:
-Organic Potting soil
-Laterite clay powder
-red clay
-gravel
-Light fixture (Any problems with they odyssea 4 bulb T5 HO fixture? I know they're cheap and get hot, but will it be enough/too much?)
-pump (still confused on what mag-drive model/gph it should be)

You only need to get the laterite powder or the red crafting clay not both.

Sorry I know nothing about those light fixtures but 4 bulbs will be good light, just don't know what the reflectors are like on those fixtures.

What do you need a pump for? If your running an HOB filter and hopefully getting a canister filter what is the pump for.

Well I have an eshopps overflow that will go down to a 10 gallon sump which will have filters and carbon then back up to the DT. Was thinking the model 5 or 7, but not really sure.

Just bought 2 bags of soil, 2 bags of Caribsea Flora-Max Substrate and I'll be ordering the rest online. Also, I'm going to have to move the 10 gallon out of the way so I can put the 55 tank in its place. That means the fish will have to go into a bucket w/ a filter, or in the 55 w/ the old filter and sponge. What is the better option?

Just bought 2 bags of soil, 2 bags of Caribsea Flora-Max Substrate and I'll be ordering the rest online. Also, I'm going to have to move the 10 gallon out of the way so I can put the 55 tank in its place. That means the fish will have to go into a bucket w/ a filter, or in the 55 w/ the old filter and sponge. What is the better option?

Do you only have the one filter? The fish will have to be kept in something with a heater and filter while your setting up the tank and cycling it. If you can put at least 80% of the 55g then you will be able to cycle the tank faster.

I have 2 old filters rated for 10 gallons and various heaters. I've kept the fish in a 5 gallon bucket w/ decorations for cover, filter, and heater for 2 days and they did fine, but I don't think it would be best to keep them in there for weeks while the 55 cycles.

I went ahead and ordered:
-mag-drive 7 & some plumbing
-laterite
-4 bulb T5 HO odyssea light (doubt it has individual reflectors)

And some plants from eBay (they'll arrive after the light):
-star moss
-balansae
-narrow fern
-xmas fern
-pellia
-windelov

So your doing an fish in cycle. Personally I'd wait at least a full day after dirting as it can be messy and I will warn you there will be tons of tannins to deal with. You are going to want to do some daily WC's in the beginning to help keep the tannins down and I used Purgen in my filter to also help remove tannins.

Just a note. Don't use carbon it will remove your fertz. As rivercats said purigen by seachem is what you want to use in a planted tank. It will pull tannis and the unwanted stuff out. While leavening the fertz in your water colume.

What percent daily? Thanks, I'll add purigen to the list. Any other filtration media besides foam? Should I get ceramic rings or some other chemical filtration media?

In my canisters I usually have one chamber with dense floss only, one for Purgen, then one for bio-media. Been doing it like this for years and it's always worked for me.

I actually did 100% WC's but I didn't have fish so depending on how much tannins your soil leeches perhaps a 50% WC daily for the first few days. All soils leech different amounts so you'll have to judge when to ease off. You shouldn't have to do it any longer than a week and perhaps less.

So some updates. Painted the back of the tank and added a new coat to the stand. Sold the 10 gallon tank and stand. Then I got a new 10 gallon b/c I knew the old one wouldn't sell if it wasn't a package deal. My Odyssea light came in. So just waiting for the other plumbing and plants I ordered. I'll update again when I have those things.

img_2268749_0_ad9446dea91fa08b303ce352c55e5a42.jpg

And the setup the fish are in. My algae eater jumped out :(. He was practically dry, but I put him back in just in case b/c he was moving and he seems to be living, but I don't know if he'll make it. All other fish are fine.

img_2268749_1_3466c9ecb460ab5dc20603f06838f205.jpg

So an update :D. Put the soil, laterite, and substrate in. The water is murky...added my old plants back in. Will be doing water changes to get rid of the cloudiness. Plumbing isn't set up, but planning to go to the LFS for more plumbing.

Can anyone help me with stocking? I'm not getting all of these fish, just ideas. Would really appreciate someone sharing their experience or if there's anything that needs to be crossed off the list.

3 black kuhli loaches
1-3 dario botias
3-5 angels
7-9 Hatchetfish
1-3 Gouramis
1 Whiptail cat (If I ever find one)
1 reticulatied Hillstream Loach
3 Upside down cat
5 cory cats
Some guppies or more tetras

Already have:
1 chinese algae eater
2 xray tetras
4 neon tetras

Can anyone help me with stocking? I'm not getting all of these fish, just ideas. Would really appreciate someone sharing their experience or if there's anything that needs to be crossed off the list.

3 black kuhli loaches
1-3 dario botias
3-5 angels
7-9 Hatchetfish
1-3 Gouramis
1 Whiptail cat (If I ever find one)
1 reticulatied Hillstream Loach
3 Upside down cat
5 cory cats
Some guppies or more tetras

Already have:
1 chinese algae eater
2 xray tetras
4 neon tetras

I've never had gourami's before, but I've heard keeping more than one gourami is a bad idea because they will fight.

I would add on 3 angels, around 6-8 hachets and 6 cories. Get the angels smaller, and maybe just increase your neons to 10.

Back
Top Bottom