55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinoManDraves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I could imagine you get this question all the time. I have been searching for at least a hour on the internet (On several different forums) to find information on this, but I couldn't find anything suitable for me. Thank you very much for all of your help.

I have a 55 gallon aquarium with a sand bed, several rocks (Aqua-scaped to make caves), and a piece of driftwood.

My filter is an Emperor 400 Power Filter. My heater is a Rena Cal Excel Top Light 300 Watt heater. I plan to change the water chemistry and cycle it soon.

Though a 55 gallon is not large, it could hold a lot of different combinations, so I'll try to shorten my requirements.

I definitely wish to have cichlids in this tank. To shorten it again, I wish to have Central or South American cichlids. Africans seem to require far too complex of water requirements for me.

If you could give me a couple ideas of commonly found cichlids that would peacefully exist together (Or at least without any hassle?) Thank you so much for all of your time and help.

You can go with convicts, jack dempseys or firemouths. (my personal choices) Convicts and firemouths stay smaller than the Jacks or, if you want to go with dwarfs; keyholes, rams (german blue, bolivians etc,) apistogramas, (rams were re-classified to microgeophagus from apistogramas so I think of both as different species) are also good choices. Africans really don't "require" stringent water requirements other than clean, clean clean. They don't have to have the salts and crap. They also can adapt (like most fish) to a lower pH.

+1 to dragonfish, bolivian rams and german blue rams are a name I hear quite often. Not to mention they are really pretty! Then again, all cichlids are ;) Convicts might breed like crazy; I have read that they are good for that so something else to take into consideration. You could also get some cories or another type of schooling fish to add some variety- but I am not sure on the compatability of schooling fish with a number of cichlids. You could search for different cichlid information, I'm not at home right now but when I get home I will toss you a couple of links to check out.

Welcome to AA! :) Hope you enjoy your stay!

Corys can be touchy. If it fits in the other fish's mouth, it's dinner. I have heard stories of corys with juvie oscars and being fine, but eh, it's subjective.

As for schooling fish, I have had great success with giant danios, tiger barbs and (newly added) clown loaches (they school with the tiger barbs, really kinda cool) mixed with my dempseys and jewels (african cichlids) There are some larger tetras that might work as well. Again, it's all subjective. Boiling down to the attitudes of the fish. My JDs and jewels are very mild attituded compared to my firemouths (which had to be moved to their own tank).

Back
Top Bottom