55 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the tank today and the filters are Rena filstar xp2 or something like that they are Made for 75 gallons. I think I am going to do this:

2 angel fish
5 discus
10 cardinal tetras
3 ottos

Stingray68 said:
I got the tank today and the filters are Rena filstar xp2 or something like that they are Made for 75 gallons. I think I am going to do this:

2 angel fish
5 discus
10 cardinal tetras
3 ottos

That's gonna look so sweet what kind of decor in the tank you planning?

I will use sand that I will get tomorrow. I will plant with amazon swords and some type of vall. And some more plants. I will also probably add some small pieces of driftwood.

IMO, ur overstocked. Whether u do angels or discus, I would do 5 max. They both need room for proper development. If u do discus alone, I recommend putting all in at same time cuz they are known for the largest dominating the tank. If u do angels, I recommend 5, as 3 is what they say to be "norm" but if u get 2 that happen to spawn, the last third angel will be picked on. With 5, it will bring more balance. I've run into this more than once. Also, if u get either fish at ur lfs, then water parameters should be same as ur home and fish should be ok. Good luck.

mohican said:
IMO, ur overstocked. Whether u do angels or discus, I would do 5 max. They both need room for proper development. If u do discus alone, I recommend putting all in at same time cuz they are known for the largest dominating the tank. If u do angels, I recommend 5, as 3 is what they say to be "norm" but if u get 2 that happen to spawn, the last third angel will be picked on. With 5, it will bring more balance. I've run into this more than once. Also, if u get either fish at ur lfs, then water parameters should be same as ur home and fish should be ok. Good luck.

I know it is not always right but aqadvisor says it it ok

To me, it says 127% which is over 100% stocking level. IMO, 100% is max. Good luck with ur decision.

Filters are minimal when it comes to stocking really. A 50 gallon tank has same volume of water whether u have 900 GPH or none. Sure the more u have the better, but angels and discus are called the kings and queens for a reason. Filtration really only helps clean water inbetween water changes. They are cichlids and have attitudes, esp when mating. My 125 becomes very small when 2 of my angels decide to spawn. I'm sure someone has had success with ur stocking plan, I'm just trying to make u think first. Maybe do 3-3 each. It's 1-2 less fish but it might give a little wiggle room. Maybe just do 5 discus. Something to think about.

What kind of plants would you think would look good? I was thinking amazon swords, java fern, arpogeton crispus, some kind of vall., Mayaca Sellowiniana. Maybe another kind of sword?

Stingray68 said:
What kind of plants would you think would look good? I was thinking amazon swords, java fern, arpogeton crispus, some kind of vall., Mayaca Sellowiniana. Maybe another kind of sword?

What fish did you end up choosing? If it is Discus, that will limit plant choices. Discus need warmer temperatures than most fish and plants.

Also, disclaimer I didn't read all of the posts, but if you're going the Discus route, I wouldn't add Angelfish. Keep it to like 5 Discus max, with some dither fish like Rummynose.

Predfan27 said:
What fish did you end up choosing? If it is Discus, that will limit plant choices. Discus need warmer temperatures than most fish and plants.

Also, disclaimer I didn't read all of the posts, but if you're going the Discus route, I wouldn't add Angelfish. Keep it to like 5 Discus max, with some dither fish like Rummynose.

Discus

P.S. I will be getting play sand tomorrow, so the plants have to be sand planted

IMO a little overstocked is okay as long as you monitor your water params and feel as though their is enough physical space (this is just my opinion I know most on this site disagree and that's okay) I have a bit overstocked tank myself but as they grow out I will return some of my buddy's and/or upgrade my tank. As far as the whole discus/angelfish debacle I did have a angel get all my discus sick a while back and they died :( from what I've read and been told angels can carry diseases that don't effect them but do effect discus and visa versa so I would suggest a QT tank with at least a month quarantine process for the Angels before adding them to a discus tank just to be safe it was very devastating when my discus died not to mention very expensive.

Jesselav1233 said:
IMO a little overstocked is okay as long as you monitor your water params and feel as though their is enough physical space (this is just my opinion I know most on this site disagree and that's okay) I have a bit overstocked tank myself but as they grow out I will return some of my buddy's and/or upgrade my tank. As far as the whole discus/angelfish debacle I did have a angel get all my discus sick a while back and they died :( from what I've read and been told angels can carry diseases that don't effect them but do effect discus and visa versa so I would suggest a QT tank with at least a month quarantine process for the Angels before adding them to a discus tank just to be safe it was very devastating when my discus died not to mention very expensive.

What was the disease? Can you kill it before it gets in the discus and when it is just on the angel?

Stingray68 said:
What was the disease? Can you kill it before it gets in the discus and when it is just on the angel?

Honestly I'm not sure my best guess based on a lot of reading and talking to discus hobbyist is the plague mainly discus and Angels get it but my angel was really sick he just hadn't shown any signs when I got him but a few weeks and him an all the other Angels in the tank at the store I got him became sick so if you mix them I suggest a long quarantine period before introducing one species to the other to ensure they are very healthy

To be honest, if you're getting the tank this week, you still have plenty of time to decide on your stock. Research research research!

Back
Top Bottom