55 Gallon stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmemm93

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! So I've been looking at getting about a 55 gallon tank. I just need to decide what array of fish would work out the best.

1-2 x veil angelfish
1-3 x pictus catfish
3 x angelicus botia
1 x senegal bichir
3-5 x madagascar or new guinea rainbowfish
1 x opaline &/or pearl gourami

OR

1-2 x veil angelfish
1 x opaline &/or pearl gourami
3-5 x madagascar or new guinea rainbowfish
3 x angelicus botia
1-3 x blue ram cichlid
2-3 x swordtails
2-3 x highfins
1-2 x red-tailed black variatus platy
1-2 x gold panda lyretail molly
3-5 x julii catfish

OR

(aahhh... is there any possibility of this last mix?)
1 x senegal bichir
1 x jack dempsey
1 x blood parrot
1 x electric blue (Sciaenochromis fryeri)-- least likely
1-3 x pictus catfish
1-2 x black convict

Hello! So I've been looking at getting about a 55 gallon tank. I just need to decide what array of fish would work out the best. I've made a list! I'd love recommendations as to what combinations would be the most harmonious as well as the most visually appealing.

The fish I definitely want:
1 x veil angelfish
1 x pictus catfish
1 x opaline gourami

The ones I need to make a decision on:

? x angelicus botia
1 x black convict cichlid (..too aggressive, right?)
1 x blood-red parrot cichlid
1 x dinosaur bichir (LOVE these.. but I've heard bad things)
1-3 x blue ram cichlid

(would it be an issue to only get males of the following?)
2-3 x swordtails
2-3 x highfins
1-2 x red-tailed black variatus platy
1-2 x gold panda lyretail molly

1 x peppered cory, 1 x sterbai cory, 1 x julii cory

I also kinda like:
upside down catfish (if they weren't always hiding!)
ghost catfish

Also, I love otocinclus. They proved themselves to me in keeping the big white rock in my 10 gallon pure white. But they probably wouldn't be my best option here- what algae eater would you recommend?

Would a dither fish be a wise idea? What would you recommend? I was thinking black neon tetras, but if I get some of the bigger, scarier fish on my list then those would just end up as snacks.

Any additional recommendations would be cool.

Opaline and all 3 spot Gouramis can get aggressive. Your tank is big enough it might be ok. I prefer a Pearl Gourami, but that's me.

Pictus are wide mouth cats. They will eat any small fish that fit. They can also annoy slow fish like Angels
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/

Botias might be ok.
No Convicts or Blood Parrots IMO
NO Bichir

Yes to Rams or Apistos or Kribs
http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/index.php

Male Livebearers are fine.

Please consider a group of Cories of the same species. They will show off much better and play. 6-10 would be great !

Otos are fine as long as you don't get a Pictus. Otherwise ? I'd get lots of plants and just not grow Algae.

Ghost Cats need large group and very clean water. They need to be fed meaty foods also. Bloodworms and Brine Shrimp. They'll usually starve on flakes.

You could get a group of Bleeding Heart Tetras or Lemon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras if your Angel grows up with them.

I'm basing my recommendations around your Angel btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha! Thank you! It's so frustrating having to pick and choose between my favorites.
Do the pearl gourami's tend to have a better temperament?
And would black neons or black phantoms be a bad idea?
And if I were to keep to large fish, would the bichir be ok?

Gotcha! Thank you! It's so frustrating having to pick and choose between my favorites.
Do the pearl gourami's tend to have a better temperament?
And would black neons or black phantoms be a bad idea?
And if I were to keep to large fish, would the bichir be ok?

Pearls do tend to be peaceful.

Bichirs need BIG tanks. Preferably with a tight lid.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2241+1028&pcatid=1028

http://www.polypterus.info/keeping_polypterus.htm

Senegal Bichirs can reach 12-16"

So a 90-120g would be a better size.

Black Neons might be ok. They can be nippy, but a large group might be ok. Black Phantoms should be ok.

Buy fish that can be happy their whole lives in the tank you have. It works out better.

I like oddball fish as well. Pick something you love, that fits your tank and build your stock list around those preferred conditions.

Bichirs don't need a big tank!!!! If he's talking about the regular senegalus then they need a 40 at the absolute minimum !!!! And they don't need a right lid! I've kept bichir for years! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396226573.847887.jpg here's mine in a 40!!! Very peaceful and doesn't bother anyone as long as u don't have small fish I would go with it

Bichirs don't need a big tank!!!! If he's talking about the regular senegalus then they need a 40 at the absolute minimum !!!! And they don't need a right lid! I've kept bichir for years! View attachment 230991 here's mine in a 40!!! Very peaceful and doesn't bother anyone as long as u don't have small fish I would go with it

No need to yell. And why recommend the minimum rather than what's ideal ? The polypterus site says 16" for Senegals. And 10-12" easily in aquariums.

Here is an extensive primer on Bichirs from another expert.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...70-Polypterids-an-introduction-and-primer-3-0

I only managed fish stores over the years and sold Bichirs. What the heck would I know, right ?

The other experts also advise lowering the water line somewhat so they can breathe easier and to help prevent escapes.

No need to yell. And why recommend the minimum rather than what's ideal ? The polypterus site says 16" for Senegals. And 10-12" easily in aquariums.

Here is an extensive primer on Bichirs from another expert.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...70-Polypterids-an-introduction-and-primer-3-0

I only managed fish stores over the years and sold Bichirs. What the heck would I know, right ?

The other experts also advise lowering the water line somewhat so they can breathe easier and to help prevent escapes.

Yea but he has a 55 so he could def keep one! 55 are long and they would have plenty space. I'm not saying u know nothing just saying I disagree and bichir bro was the one who told me and he's very knowledgeable about bichirs!

Yea but he has a 55 so he could def keep one! 55 are long and they would have plenty space. I'm not saying u know nothing just saying I disagree and bichir bro was the one who told me and he's very knowledgeable about bichirs!

Yes, he could keep one. I'm just looking at a build aimed at the Angelfish as I said. And personally I don't mix fish from different continents usually.

If the OP wants a Bichir I would tell them to plan the tank and stock around its needs.

And yes, I do tend to recommend optimum room for species. My Canary has a 3'x3'x2.5' flight cage. He could perhaps have survived in a tiny pet store cage, but he's 10yrs and still singing. I like big tanks for big fish. A 55g is a decent size. But after watching this videohttp://youtu.be/HmQACBwsIog, it seems small to me.

I didn't even think of those. I do like denison barbs :)

I edited my post quite a bit- put up three lists of possibilities for my tank. I have been researching since I've posted this, and am pretty confident in the top two at least. I have plenty of time to mull it over- I'm just antsy and very indecisive!

I feel you on that. My two small parrots share an enormous cage, and my snakes each have a cage plenty large for each.

Don't mix African and So American Cichlids IMHO. Bad Idea. Bichirs aren't very aggressive. A JD might just beat it up ??? And a pair of Convicts will breed and try to beat up the other fish.

If you are set on a Bichir, look for non bite sized semi aggressive to peaceful tank mates.

I didn't even think of those. I do like denison barbs :)

I edited my post quite a bit- put up three lists of possibilities for my tank. I have been researching since I've posted this, and am pretty confident in the top two at least. I have plenty of time to mull it over- I'm just antsy and very indecisive!

Try to pick a favorite fish or biotope and build on that.

Angelfish ? South American/Amazonian peaceful to semi aggressive.

Bichir ? African /slow shallow water.
Peaceful to Semi Aggressive. Bigger fish, less of them. A Leaf Fish or Rope Fish would work.

I love Denison Barbs as well. If I ever do a big tank again, those would be featured for sure !

Yeah that last list was quickly thrown together- I'm kinda using that post to take notes and switch around my ideas.. although all but the electric blue on that last list are south american, I believe. I know you're not supposed to mix, but figured I'd check out the temperament of electric blues and see if it's something I could experiment with. I looked up the bichir + jd thing and found pretty positive results. Would make sure to keep it to a single convict, then. I'd do a ridiculous amount of research on that last list before I were to ever try it!!

Good deal. I'll stop looking at all the fish I like and try to focus on a general region..

We had Convicts breeding in our display tanks at the store. We'd see a bunch of Convicts crammed into one end of the tank stressed out and the parents guarding fry at the other end. They breed young and won't stop LOL.

I work at a pet store too:) And still agree with the whole 'never usually trust a pet store' thing. I could tell you anything about parrots or snakes, but after that I'm pretty much useless in the 'miscellaneous' animals department. I've been trying to catch on to fish but there's SO MUCH to know.

If u want a bichir I would put my stock likes this I have one!! One senegalus bichir! ONLY ONE, 1
Leopard ctenopoma, 1 rainbow shark, 2x Bolivian rams,4-5 Denison barbs

Back
Top Bottom