55 gallon stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well got him in. Man it is so hard to tell if the fish is trying to be a bully or if he just saying hello. Hes really only chasing the other blood fins.

haha probably just excited to be out of that Petco tank. ;)

Hey..I've pick up lots of diseased fish from Petco. Do you have a QT? I would worry about stocking this whole thing without QT'ing first...

siva said:
haha probably just excited to be out of that Petco tank. ;)

Hey..I've pick up lots of diseased fish from Petco. Do you have a QT? I would worry about stocking this whole thing without QT'ing first...

No I don't have been thinking about it. Space is a issue for one. Second have heard kind of mixed things about q tanks. Like more for if you get fish online it is better. My PETCO is actually really good on there tanks the ones that work there actually know what they are talking about. And if someone new is there and either doesn't know I will usually go back when one that does know is there. And all the fish I have got from PETCO so far with no problems. Knock on wood

If you're saying QT'ing fish ordered online is more important than those bought locally, it's actually usually the opposite. I've ordered from lots of other hobbyists online, as well as some larger sellers, and have had far less disease come in on these shipments than from lfs purchases. These sellers have often bred the fish themselves, or QT'd them before reselling them, hence the drastic difference in disease risk. They also go directly from their bag water to your tank water without any inbetween nonsense so, it's by far my preferred way to purchase fish. Stores like Petco do not QT fish. The day the shipment arrives the fish are added directly to the main tanks and are offered for sale. Furthermore, if they discover ill fish, such as ich for example, they do not discontinue sale of the ill fish until they have completely recovered. They just aren't willing to lose the sale. Even the better ran Petcos are still getting the same fish from the same distributors. Some M&P shops QT before sale, others don't but, still most of these type of shops will still discontinue sale of anything that has an illness that's come to their attention. A 10 gal QT is a great idea if you can swing it. It will also serve as your hospital tank in case down the road you end up with a sick or injured fish that you'd like to isolate and treat.

Skeeter4158098 said:
So what do you need for a QT tank. Other then a tank? Do you have to cycle it?

Usually you do not need anything in the tank. Many people have no substrate, an only a few decorations/ driftwood for eye appeal. You want to be able to see the poop of the fish and things of that nature. Ad since a majority of the BB will be in the filter, it shouldn't be an issue, and yes, the tank should be cycled. And since there are never any fish in the tank to supply ammonia, it's a good idea to constantly supply the tank with ammonia.

TankMan said:
Usually you do not need anything in the tank. Many people have no substrate, an only a few decorations/ driftwood for eye appeal. You want to be able to see the poop of the fish and things of that nature. Ad since a majority of the BB will be in the filter, it shouldn't be an issue, and yes, the tank should be cycled. And since there are never any fish in the tank to supply ammonia, it's a good idea to constantly supply the tank with ammonia.

So you have to have the tank constantly up and running heater and filter?

Skeeter4158098 said:
So I checked out the advisor app (cool idea) only a little confusing tells me all the tetra will nip at angel fish but to increase to 6 each then they don't show that they will nip lol. And second it doesn't have any fluval filter systems in its filter selection.

As far as adding other tetra I most likely will just keep the 4 types and increase school size.

Clown pleco. I will add some drift wood. I want to add a good size piece. Just not one that will over crowd the tank and take away from the symentry of the tank. I'm thinking a piece say 6" or so or maybe two on each side? Some suggested I put it in side the sitting buddha? The thing with that is I want the pleco to have enough room in there with the driftwood in as well.

Yes with a larger school of tetras. They are too busy chasing each other so the wont fin nip. If you were to only keep a few they would be stressed and more likely to fin nip

So you have to have the tank constantly up and running heater and filter?
No. Depending on the type of filter you choose, you can either leave it running on your DT at all times so it remains cycled, or just take media from the filter on the DT and transfer it over the QT filter during the times you need it. If you choose something like a sponge filter, which does not take media, you'd want to go ahead and run it in the DT when it's not in the QT.

So another death in the tank. This time one of my serpaes which were the first fish I put in the tank. I have checked my levels and they are all good. He missing so much of his fins. Dont know who is being the ahole.

So another death in the tank. This time one of my serpaes which were the first fish I put in the tank. I have checked my levels and they are all good. He missing so much of his fins. Dont know who is being the ahole.

How long was he dead in the tank for? Fish are known to pick at dead fish so it may just be that. If not maybe it's the blood fin that was bullying the others? Maybe try offering some more hiding spots? A death in the tank always sucks

tamtam said:
How long was he dead in the tank for? Fish are known to pick at dead fish so it may just be that. If not maybe it's the blood fin that was bullying the others? Maybe try offering some more hiding spots? A death in the tank always sucks

I'm not really sure. He was kind of still trying to swim sideways. Well and when I put the new blood fin in he was chasing the other blood fins. Now he is fine. My ammonia is a light .25 if even that my nitrites are a light .25 and my nitrates are 40. Ph. Is 8.4 and have been for awhile.

Well went and replaced the serpae tetra. Discussed what possible things could be going wrong with my tank. And the outcome we have come to is doing a 50% water change and when i gravel vac my tank I am doing every square inch of the tank. So the theory is that I am taking to much of the BB out of my tank. So to wait 2-3 weeks then check water parameters again and if so only do about a 25% water change and don't gravel vac the whole substrate. Any second opinions on this?

Skeeter4158098 said:
Well went and replaced the serpae tetra. Discussed what possible things could be going wrong with my tank. And the outcome we have come to is doing a 50% water change and when i gravel vac my tank I am doing every square inch of the tank. So the theory is that I am taking to much of the BB out of my tank. So to wait 2-3 weeks then check water parameters again and if so only do about a 25% water change and don't gravel vac the whole substrate. Any second opinions on this?

I was always told to only gravel vac 1/2 the tank one water change then the other the next.

Stephen Rollins said:
I was always told to only gravel vac 1/2 the tank one water change then the other the next.

Ya I was doing the "WHOLE" substrate. Thinking was well there is a lot stuff coming up from the gravel. Lol. Oh well. Will just give it some time then try it there way and see how it goes.

Skeeter4158098 said:
I'm not really sure. He was kind of still trying to swim sideways. Well and when I put the new blood fin in he was chasing the other blood fins. Now he is fine. My ammonia is a light .25 if even that my nitrites are a light .25 and my nitrates are 40. Ph. Is 8.4 and have been for awhile.

Umm i think your tests are quite high. Ammonia should be zero so should you nitrites and your nitrates should be 5-20 . So just keep an eye out and do a water change like you said :)

I'm really not sure about this, I just made a post yesterday about a Fish in Cycle question and it was about gravel vacing. I know it was about a cycle but the principle was the same about vacuuming removing BB. Most of your BB is housed in your filter(s) and media, the gravel should have little bearing on it in theory. I'd be more worried about an excess of food building up and spiking your levels. If you are pulling out lots of stuff during gravel vacs maybe cut back on your feeding?

So now I am really lost. So on the 23rd is when I replaced one of my serpae tetras. Well today low and behold had 5. Now only 4. So I think hiding in my plants nope. So i use my net to tip my house and what floats up? My serpae. So did he get stuck under it and panicked or did who ever got to my bloodfin and my other serpae get to him as well? He was not the smallest. On a side note I think the day before I would see him just kinda of staying by the house and wasn't really moving around much. My levels are all in the good even took my water in and they came up with the same api kit results as I did. On yet another side note is I finally got a stand up thermometer for inside and it reads 80? Should I turn my heater down could this be part of the problem as well? SOME ONE HELP. Getting very discouraged.

So now I am really lost. So on the 23rd is when I replaced one of my serpae tetras. Well today low and behold had 5. Now only 4. So I think hiding in my plants nope. So i use my net to tip my house and what floats up? My serpae. So did he get stuck under it and panicked or did who ever got to my bloodfin and my other serpae get to him as well? He was not the smallest. On a side note I think the day before I would see him just kinda of staying by the house and wasn't really moving around much. My levels are all in the good even took my water in and they came up with the same api kit results as I did. On yet another side note is I finally got a stand up thermometer for inside and it reads 80? Should I turn my heater down could this be part of the problem as well? SOME ONE HELP. Getting very discouraged.

I don't think the temperature would be an issue, as long as it's consistent and not bopping around.

Is he also torn up looking? If he was acting a bit strange maybe the stress from the move just got to him? I'm not sure. I hate deaths in a tank when there isn't an obvious answer. :(

tamtam said:
I don't think the temperature would be an issue, as long as it's consistent and not bopping around.

Is he also torn up looking? If he was acting a bit strange maybe the stress from the move just got to him? I'm not sure. I hate deaths in a tank when there isn't an obvious answer. :(

No the temp is regular and the two serpaes that died are old ones. I know it wasnt the new one he is a lighter color then the others.

Back
Top Bottom