55 Gallon Stocking/Setup Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heaxnis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

Okay so I just had some questions about the stocking for a 55 gallon setup. Please understand my boyfriend and I are super new to this hobby and when purchasing our first fish tank we were mainly going off of what an employee of a pet store was saying. The employee in question had told us that we could purchase a 10 gallon tank and put TEN TO TWELVE MOLLIES in it. She also told us that mollies were solely freshwater fish, that 10 gallons would be plenty of space for them, and that we could even put a betta in with them. So, we went home set up the tank, let it run for a few days and went back and purchased 7 mollies, 3 dalmations, 2 black mollies, and 2 silver lyretails. After we got home we definitely realized that was WAY to many. Upon doing more research we have learned so much more about tanks, the nitrogen cycle, fish tank size needs, growth, etc. So obviously we definitely have seen the 1 gal for 1 inch rule. Oops.

Well now we have purchased a 55 gallon (it is currently cycling, we just set it up) and were wondering if there was any more advice that anyone could give regarding the mollies and stocking. Is 7 mollies enough for a 55 gallon and we shouldn't add more? Can we add more and if so how many fish what types? Is there a time period we should wait after transferring the mollies we have over before adding more? Also, are there any recommendations about specific filters that would be better for a 55 gallon (we have the one that came with the marineland 55 gallon kit) than the one that comes with the kit? To be honest any and all advice would be welcome! I just want our fishies to have the best!

Thanks

Mollies will breed. They will fill up the tank. Have a plan for what to do with extra babies.
They are active swimmers and prefer having room to swim. Live plants and frequent water changes will help keep their water pristine. They are very sensitive to poor water quality.

1" per gallon is outdated.

With live bearers you usually want 1 male per 4 females. If you have too many males they can harass females to death.

You can have all males if you don't want to deal with babies.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/...sh-youve-never-seen-livebearers-unlimited.htm

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/...e-and-the-salt-myth-livebearers-unlimited.htm

They will often pick on long finned fish. They can be bullies esp at feeding time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom