55 gallon tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

palmtree7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking of getting a 55 gallon tank and I was wondering what would be some good ideas to stock it with

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well what are u into? A easy community set up? Predatory ? Unique fish?

40 gallon
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x leopard pleco
With love plants in the tank

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Any fish in particular catch your interest? It's definitely easier to build around a specific fish (if it works in your tank), though I'm sure we'd all love to spout out a few of our own favourites! :p

Yea I'm fine with hearing some of your favorites that would probly help give me an idea

A few of my favourites are

Standalone or 'in pairs/trios' fish:
Rams
Apistos
Keyhole cichlids
Angel fish
Firemouth cichlids
Pearl gouramis
Honey gourami
Paradise fish
Bettas
Wild-type bettas (if you can get your hands on them)
Clown panaque
Bristlenose plecos

Shoaling species:
Corydoras (so many different species to choose from! My personal favourites are Sterbai and Schwartzi)
Hatchetfish (interestingly shaped and active, one of my favourite characins. They will stick only to the top, and make sure you have a tightly fitting lid!)
Rainbow fish (I like the reds and the threadfins)
Rummynose tetras
Lemon tetras
Glass catfish
Von Rio tetras
Black or red phantom tetras
Glowlight danios

Oddballs:
African butterfly fish
Ctenopoma (both the Ornate, and the Spotted Leaf)

Invertebrates:
Nerite snails
Ghost shrimp

Obviously not all of these guys are compatible - some are community, some are hardier than others, and some are die-hard predators, but this is just a small list to start some research and see what kind of tank you think you'd like to make.

If you get something that big, I would go all out and do real plants and driftwood and get angelfish.
But then again blood parrots are super cute and have so much personality

I like rainbows. That's what I have in my 55 along with bristle nose plecos. An Angel tank would be nice too. Definitely plant the tank and make it natural looking. :)

Back
Top Bottom