55 Gallon with high nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriznat20@msn.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK like ive said before, I love this site, but nobody seems to be helping me :( My 55 gallon that ive had for a month and 1 week has some nitrites that are high. The ammonia has pretty much dropped off, but my nitrites are off the charts. The fish seem perfectly ok, and I even doubted my test kit so today i brought a water sample to my LFS. They confirmed my results. The guy there said to gravel the filter and perform a 25% water change. I did. Is there something I am doing wrong? Ive been feeding my fish (3 tiger barbs, 1 striped rafael, 2 gouramis, 1 pleco, 1 tetra) once a day and I am not totally brain dead- :roll: I only feed them way less than what they can eat in 3 minutes. Nothing even makes it to the bottom of the tank!! I have two whisper 30's (bio filters) I havent cleaned them out, I didnt want to harm the bacteria but they look good as new. When I filtered the gravel a lot of fish fecal matter came up. What gives? Oh, the temp is at 76 degrees, I have added aquarium salt, but only about 5 teaspoons and that was about 3 weeks ago. Help!

do the whispers have any sort of biomedia like a sponge or something? if they do, you could rinse out the filter cartridges on each and leave the sponge alone. how often do you do water changes?

My 55 gal took over 6 weeks to cycle. Also, I would raise the temp to 78-79 to get those bacteria moving a little faster. You will need more frequent water changes if you raise the temp, though.

I would say that, the tank is still cycling and the more that you mess with it, the longer it is going to take to cycle...

The Nitrite formation is the ending of the cycle, so just have some patience ( I hope your fish will) and it will start to drop and when it does, it will be pretty quick. :mrgreen:

1. Do you have an undergravel filter? The reason I ask is the main problem with the Whisper line of filters is they provide no Biological filtration, only mechanical and chemical. an UGF will provide you with biological filtration, but I still prefer bio wheels and no UGF. By not cleaning out the filters in your whisper you are not effectively building a bio base, but more allowing decaying matter to collect in your filter media. This will increase the nitrates. I would check your media to make sure it's not clogged (although with such few fish I couldn't imagine it would be). I personally would rinse one of the filters this week and one next week. no, actually I would buy a bio wheel, then rinse one filter, then the other. Bio wheels are incredibly important to the chemistry in a tank as far as a culture for beneficial bacteria.

2. Don't raise the temp over 78. It does not provide an increase in helpful bacterial growth, until you get into an acidic 80+ tank, but you don't want that with your current Ph Neutral fish.

3. Don't panic. Your tank is cycling slowly. This happens.

There might be a little something else going on, but without the more info, this is what I come up with.

OK like ive said before, I love this site, but nobody seems to be helping me

Ahh, patience, grasshopper! As bearfan said your tank is still cycling. the cycle takes more or less time depending on a variety of factors, you're ok, it's still in progress.

When I filtered the gravel a lot of fish fecal matter came up. What gives?

This will always happen, the fecal matter will not all get taken in by the filter, no matter what kind you have. When you do water changes, always vacuum the gravel, you'll keep the mulm (poop) to a minimum. Also, I believe the gravel has a lot to do with the biofiltration, millions of bacteria live there also. By vacuuming it, you allow the bacteria to stay oxegenated and do its job.

I would have to agree with the others when I say that your tank WILL cycle by itself. it may take some time. I've never cycled a tank that large, but my two ten gallon tanks took about a month and a half to cycle. As long as your fish look healthy and are not floating at the top and 'looking' at the gravel :roll: they should be ok. Relax, your tank will cycle. Just test once a week and I bet you'll soon notice that levels will fall to normal within a week or two!

Good luck :D

Bearfan said:
1. The reason I ask is the main problem with the Whisper line of filters is they provide no Biological filtration, only mechanical and chemical.

While the sponge that comes with the Whisper may not be the ultimate bio filter, they do work. We use them on some of the FW tanks at the store and have never had any trouble with them. Having said that, I agree wholeheartedly with Bearfan that the bio wheels are the best FW bio filter...you just can't beat them. I think you will just have to continue being patient and your tank will finish the cycle. When the nitrites do drop, they should drop quickly.
Logan J

As everyone has already stated, its cycling, you gave evidence when you said
The ammonia has pretty much dropped off
in almost every case, the ammonia will drop and the nitrites will stay, they take a while longer to disapate, but sounds like you can add a few more fish when they do! And hang on, this is a great site and we are all here to help!

Thanks everybody for your help... FYI When I bought the 2 Whisper 30 Power filters i made sure it was a bio/chem/mech filter. I do agree that Penguin bio wheel is far superior but at the time I bought the tank, they were out of stock of them. My cartridges (foam and floss) are both very clean. Plus, my water level in my filter is low, it says to replace when it gets high, thats when you know resistance is strong and filter is clogged....
So now thats out of the way, I have been feeding once every two days, and just a smidgen of food, just enough to wet their little tongues, haha.
I tested nitrates today, still past 5.0 .... Also, i have never added "bacteria" but I have added a pack of stress coat that came with some tetra flakes I bought, kind of like a bonus pack, that was before I added any fish - I added the conditioner. It didnt say anything about bacteria just that it neutralized chlorine and chemicals. I also use a few drops of stress coat to neutralize the chemicals when I add tap water too. I have seen those little containers of bacteria to add to the tank, should I buy some? I am trying to be patient my fish seem healthy and fine but I dont want that to change. Prevention is better than looking for a cure.
I added 2 more teaspoons of aquarium salt seeing that I have changed 25% of my water about 6 times in the past two weeks.
Any other suggestions out there?? I dont have anything in the tank besides artifical plants and a poly plastic cave thingy for my pleco and striped rafael. My substrate is regular aquarium gravel which i rinsed the hell out of, before i added it. I was considering getting an air pump and bubbler, for looks and for the fish to swim through but also maybe to circulate the water more. Whatchya think about the stuff i said? :roll:

Sounds to me like you're doing everything right. I wouldn't bother with the bacteria they sell, it is still not certain that they are the the actual bacteria that do the work in the tank.

I'd feed once a day at least, you don't want your fishies too hungry. Also, with only 2 fish, that could be the reason your cycle is taking longer. Not much waste for the bacteria to feed on, so the cycle goes slower.

I do agree that Penguin bio wheel is far superior but at the time I bought the tank, they were out of stock of them

I know it's hard, but next time, wait for exactly what you want, don't settle for something less. However, I used the whispers for years, I do think they do an adequete job.

I added 2 more teaspoons of aquarium salt seeing that I have changed 25% of my water about 6 times in the past two weeks.

Just curious as to why you are adding salt? Don't know about the raphael, but plecos would prefer no salt, I believe.

well, seeing that i only have one pleco and actually I have 10 fish, i dont know where you got 2 from? I added the salt to help them. I also have a loach, i know that all scaleless fish dont like salt, but they are gonna have to grin and bear it :wink:
I kick myself in the buns, I really should've waited or went to a different aquarium shop to get the penguin bio wheels. Maybe if i see them for a good price on Ebay I will snatch em up :p
ok well thanks again, I am going to be *patient*, even though it is hard, and wait for the nitrite level to drop.

Ooops, sorry about the misunderstanding regarding the number of fish, my bad.
I added the salt to help them.

Help them in what way?

All the fish you listed don't need any salt. Not sure who told you they do, but, in my experience, they don't. Everything you listed comes from straight-up fresh water. The salt could (not sure, but possible) be slowing down your cycle.

Only one thing I have to ask.... I'm not sure if it's a typo or not. You mentioned testing for nitrate (with an A) as opposed to nitrite (with an I). If, in fact, you have a nitrAte level of 5.0, your tank is probably cycled. If it's nitrIte, then it is not. I don't see anything in the info you have provided that accounts for the high pH. Have you tested your tap water pH?
Also, if you decide to purchase a Bio Wheel filter, the Emperor is far superior to the Penguins. One Emperor 400 would do a fine job on your tank and probably wouldn't cost much more than 2 Penguins. The Whispers, as Paul said, will do the job though. Alternate cleaning the foam and changing the bio-bags from one filter to the other. Rinse the foam in tank water to limit the # of bacteria that get killed. JMHO :mrgreen: .
Logan J

Sorry about the confusion, my test kit only tests for nitrItes.... with an I.... and i tested it about 20 mins ago, it was still around 5.0, but im getting nervous. I just noticed my bala shark has a nipped fin, i think the fish are becoming stressed. They killed a tetra i had about 1 1/2 weeks ago, completely ate his little head off. I, of course, didnt see it happen, but when i woke up for work, i noticed he was stuck to my filter tube suction and the tiger barbs were snacking off of him yikes! I dont have a quarantine tank yet, I will buy one when i get paid on wednesday, hopefully he'll make it that far. Damn creepy bully stressed out fish, LOL.
Well I guess thats it, Im hoping the NitrItes will start to fall, i dont want to create a madhouse in that tank.
Thanks!!

They will...it just takes time. The nitrite takes longer to cycle due to the slower growth rate of the bacteria. I'll happen...I know it's hard to wait though :( .
Logan J

Do you think my bala shark will be eaten like the tetra (it was ok, he was boring anyways) just kidding!! serious, if my bala shark is gonna be the next snack food, I will borrow $$ and go buy one of those little 5 gallon tanks to put him in. Oh great, another tank i have to wait to cycle :? hehe

Arent bala sharks like 14 inches long? Is he a baby, otherwise I dont know why he is at risk, and to what

Back
Top Bottom