55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They seemed fine. But I don't no a hole lot about this stuff yet

They seemed fine. But I don't no a hole lot about this stuff yet
As was mentioned countless times on this forum, don't always trust LFS's. What's there job at the end of the day. Selling fish!!. I would take the advice of the other posters and read up on cycling. Get yourself a liquid test kit and test your own water. You could always use some media from your other tanks. It will at least speed up the cycle....

Okay. My last time putting this out there.

1. Fish create ammonia
2. ammonia is highly toxic to fish
3. Bacteria grow to consume the ammonia
4. Consumed ammonia turns into nitrites
5. Nitrites are highly toxic to fish
6. Bacteria grows to consume nitrites
7. Consumed nitrites turn into nitrates
8. Nitrates aren't nearly as toxic to fish
9. Nitrates are removed through water changes

The LFS telling you that your water is okay to add fish is technically true.

However, your bio filter (bacteria to eat ammonia and nitrite) is not okay to add fish. This is what we have been telling you this entire thread.

To cycle your tank (establishing bacteria to eat ammonia and nitrite) you need to add ammonia to the tank to bring the ammonia to 4ppm. With the filter and heater running. After the ammonia is added to the tank the bacteria will begin to grow and eat the ammonia making nitrite. After that the nitrate consuming bacteria will grow and make nitrate.

This is all a crash course in cycling that is outlined in detail in that link I gave you twice that you said you read through.

Sorry if I was pissing you guys off but I'm just used to hearing a week is ok to add fish. Then you guys are saying no longer is better. So I was just trying to get everything together.

It's okay, we are here to help :)

The week long waiting period is regurgitated by clueless fish store employees. If I were you, I would avoid asking any sort of advice from a lfs that will tell you this. Most of the people here have listened to horrendous advice from stores like that at some point in time and it usually comes back to bite us in the hindquarters. :banghead:

Sorry if I was pissing you guys off but I'm just used to hearing a week is ok to add fish. Then you guys are saying no longer is better. So I was just trying to get everything together.

Honestly, I've never cycled a tank and all my fish have been fine. ::hides::

A week is not enough no matter what. Do not listen to any LFS because they are ignorant.

It is not just a matter of time. It is a process.

You need to read A WHOLE BUNCH before you do anything......

So I'm guessing there things I need to get at petsmart or some pet store.

an API master test kit and some water conditioner are two necessities for keeping a tank. Other than that just the general equipment is needed. The test kit can be bought online for 2/3 to 1/2 the price it costs at the local stores.

I have a test water kit I mean thing like this.

Attachments

• image-3603806138.jpg
    image-3603806138.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 58
  • image-236484875.jpg
    image-236484875.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 54
I no that not a text kit but would I need thing like that before I add fish. Or do I need to test it first

I no that not a text kit but would I need thing like that before I add fish. Or do I need to test it first

it cant really hurt to use those things, but they wont necessarily help the cycle. definitely need to test first.

technically you should first test your tap water for pH etc.

Read the guides in depth and everything is explained. :)

I know it seems like a lot, and a long time to wait, but its worth it to have happy healthy long living fish! :D

When's a good time to start checking this stuff or is it in that thing I was sent.

When's a good time to start checking this stuff or is it in that thing I was sent.
Forget about adding fish. Get a liquid test kit and then concentrate on the cycle. Fish is the last thing you add. Are your other tanks set-up long??

I have a 10 g with 3 grown male guppies 2 black mollies about 4 baby guppies 4 female guppies in a breaded and like 15 fry in a net breeder.

It's been up for maybe 6 months I want to say. I l ow that a lot of fish in a 10g but I was thinking a week is ok but I guess it's not going to be a week. I do have my works tank I can put some of my fish in until both my tanks ( 29 and 55g ) are ready.

Back
Top Bottom