55G Aqueon Setup Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's completely normal, it's a fungus.... Boil it and scrub it and it should be fine. Some fish will eat it, but it won't hurt them.

Also I would keep the temp under 80 at least until you get Rams, as fungus (and bacteria) grow faster in warmer temperatures...

I say it's nothing to worry about (y) It's happened to every driftwood I ever have had, at least that I can remember. If it's mopani wood from an LFS it should be just fine. In fact the same happened to the mopani in my ram tank. But I'm glad you asked about it! If you don't like the sight of it you can clean it off.... Personally I just leave it.

thanks.

just scrubbed it really good and im boiling it now... (had the pot ready)

I just set the controller to 79.. going to boil for a while.

Should be transferring the 4 glo tetras I have in a little while..

just drained the tank about 95% and filled it back up, using a dechlorinator and a capful of stress coat

I fed the fish early in their small tank in case they don't want to eat right away

thanks again... the wife and kid are excited to start getting fish

Well I ended up transferring the 4 glo moon tetras into the 55g tank and they immediately were more active schooling around.

I then figured it would be a good time to go check the stock at my LFS.

I met an incredible worker there by the name of Dave. He helped me with all of the things that you helpful folks have said from day 1. I explained to him the situation and he felt it would be ok for me to add the guppies I wanted as well as 4 more glo moon tetras.. let me explain

He gave me his personal phone number, and a bottle of api stress coat for free, a piece of airline tubing and showed me how to do a slow drip introduction.

Said if I had any issues to shoot him a text and he would gladly help... He also said to save the fish bags, as well as my receipt just in case. because petco has their 30 day guarantee.

SO... with that being said, my tank now has 8 glo moon tetras, and 7 guppies.

What would you recommend next? the black kuhli loaches?

I was thinking 6 loaches, 2 GBR's and that gives me room for a few more fish.. any suggestions?

Wow that's an awesome petco!! Lucky you!!

I would add the loaches next(in a week or so), but hold off on the Rams for at least a month as they need a stable tank.

You could add all kinds of fish!
I'll lost some of my favorites for a tank of that size:
Any kind of danios(Zebra, golden, leopard, Glofish) these are one of my favorites, active schooling fish!

Another school of tetras or rasboras, or barbs(not tiger, but any of the others are fine. Tiger barbs and long finned fish do not end well!)

Other cichlids such as blue Acaras or electric blue ones....

Maybe rainbowfish, I've always wanted these

http://seriouslyfish.com/species/Pseudomugil-furcatus/

Hope that gives you some ideas!

Btw, when researching fish, my favorite resource is seriouslyfish.com, they have excellent information.

Also check out Gouramis, you may like them...

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm excited. Going to roll with this for a week before ordering the loaches

Correct me if I'm wrong but loaches mean no shrimp or snails right?

Depends on the loach. I had dojo and black kuhli in with snails and shrimp with no issues. Larger loaches like clown and yoyo will omnom smaller snails and any shrimp incautious enough to wind up in its mouth.

They will definitely eat baby shrimp, but I would think Amano shrimp should be fine. I would not do cherries, or other more expensive shrimp!

If you want a single peaceful larger display fish look at a Pearl Gourami.

But you'll need to check temperature preferences for all fish to make sure they are ok at the high temps GBRs prefer. Most tropical fish like 76-78°f
GBRs like 82° and soft water 7.0 or lower I believe. Ram owners correct me if I'm wrong.

I have Corydoras sterbai so I keep my tank around 80-82°

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're still quarantining with the 10 gallon right? Trust me, you don't want to treat a 55 gallon for ich.

the rest of the fish from now going forward will be quarantined in the 10g tank.. im also going to pick up a few smaller tanks to use as bare bottom quarantine tanks because im sure im going to have guppy fry here before long as well.

water parameters are perfect (IMO) and all of the fish are very happy at the moment

im ordering 6 black kuhli loaches from live aquaria i think today, that way it ships to my house tomorrow and my wife will be home to take care of them.

They will go into the 10 gallon for now

what have you people done to me! :blink:

Here is a shot of the 55 gallon, a 5 gallon and a 10 gallon.

I did a massive water change on the 5, and filled up the 10, treated both for dechlorination, and added some safe start.

as far as the 55 gallon being cloudy, I went by a recommendation to adding polyfill behind my filters.. pictures are all added.. (WATER TESTS CAME BACK PERFECT)

I ordered a uv light today via amazon, but I can always send it back if this poly fill works

I plan on using the small tank as a quarantine tank, and the 10 gallon as a fry tank for the guppies ill inevitably aquire.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

POLY FILL BEHIND FILTER

SIDE VIEW OF 55G

FRONT VIEW ALL TANKS

If it looks like jelly its fungus. If it looks More threadlike with spores its most likely mold.

Not my pictures.

Fungus
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453160590.188327.jpg

Mold
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453160605.086510.jpg

Ive had the fungus before and its not harmful. Snails and shrimp eat it

Never had the mold so not sure

Tanks are lookin nice!

- St Charles Almendras Geraldizo

I had some fungus start on a piece of Mopani wood, so removed it, boiled it, and its soakng in water right now in my garage

its definitely not mold, none of the plants in the tank show those spines

guess I shold preface that comment with the fact I have well water that has sulphur.. so It runs through a chlorine injected system.. then im dechlorinating it while doing water changes..

so it could be a higher level of phosphates... that's why im trying the poly

From the pictures It may be a bacterial bloom, or your well water. Try researching online with "Well water and aquariums" and see what you find...

55g
Ph 7.0
Amm 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10

5g (transferred everything from 10g)
Ph 7.0
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10

10g
Brand new.