55gal stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
55 gal stocking

Since my dad has let me have free rule over our aquarium, I want to change the stock a little. There are a few fish that are a must, those being:

7-10 Scissortail rasboras
2 angelfish

I would like to add more but when I go to the stock calculator, apparently this is already overstocked? I want more variety while still maintaining a good size school. Also, I am used to doing about 50% pwc every week, would a strict pwc schedule override a slightly overstocked tank?

I would like to add 3-5 boesmani rainbow fish if I could and maybe some gourami. Anybody have any ideas, advice or encouragement? This stock calculator is depressing me. Apparently with just the rasboras it's like 93% stocked and I need more filtration? :confused:

Also, not sure if this should matter or not, but I have 80gal worth of filtration running in my tank.

I thought that sounded low on the stock also but I just looked up the scissortails and I guess they grow to 6" so thats why it says that.

How many gph is your filtration?

Maybe look into denison barbs. Great substitute for the rasbora IMO, if you want to replace them and free up some more room. You could maybe get 2 denisons. I hear they are extremely active and they look awesome.

I would recommend an African Brown Knife but with your other stock that may not work.

mikem691 said:
I thought that sounded low on the stock also but I just looked up the scissortails and I guess they grow to 6" so thats why it says that.

Ugh...I researched online as well as talked to my lfs about them, and concluded they get to be around 3 to 5 inches although he said they usually max out at 3-4 inches. Not sure what I should do now, I don't want a tank full of rasboras but my dad really wants scissortails and I feel obligated to include them because he's funding the tank.

bud29 said:
How many gph is your filtration?

Maybe look into denison barbs. Great substitute for the rasbora IMO, if you want to replace them and free up some more room. You could maybe get 2 denisons. I hear they are extremely active and they look awesome.

I would recommend an African Brown Knife but with your other stock that may not work.

I'm not sure where to find the gph on the box/instructions, but it says the output is 1000L/h on the box so I assume that's it. I also have two established filters made for a 10 and 15gal running on the tank as well. Gph of those I'm not sure.

Is that good? The gph is how much water the filter circulates within an hour right? How does this impact my tank? Kind of a dumb question I know. :\

I like to be at 10x so 55 would be 550 GPH
I have a 75 and just ran the AqAdvisor
I have 4 angels 2 clown loaches and 2 silverdollars with 680GPH and it said im at 119% stocking and 88% for filtration
And I left the pleco out completely.:(

mikem691 said:
I like to be at 10x so 55 would be 550 GPH
I have a 75 and just ran the AqAdvisor
I have 4 angels 2 clown loaches and 2 silverdollars with 680GPH and it said im at 119% stocking and 88% for filtration
And I left the pleco out completely.:(

That's because the loaches need a 125

That's because the loaches need a 125
Yep you are right They are only 2" at the moment but I am looking at a 125 now. All my fish are small 2 to 3 " but I will be moving them to a 125 and doing a cichlid tank with the 75.
Ill try it with out the loaches and see what it says.

Is that good? The gph is how much water the filter circulates within an hour right? How does this impact my tank? Kind of a dumb question I know. :\
I would recomend a second filter of about the same size.

mikem691 said:
I would recomend a second filter of about the same size.

I will see if we can get another one. We got a cheap sunsun HW 302 off eBay and can probably get a second for a good price. Thanks for the advice.

Show your dad the denison barbs and see how he likes those. Another name for denisons are roseline sharks, so refer to them as that; he may like the idea of sharks better than barbs;)

Back
Top Bottom