56 Gallon Stocking Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ck-scooby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First post to these forums, so thanks in advance for any info.

So I'm almost done cycling a 56 gallon, freshwater column tank (I don't generally prefer a column tank, but I live in a place where floor space is at a premium, so I had no real choice). I've got a decent outline of how I want to stock it, but wanted to run it by the group and, hopefully, fill in the blanks.

So 56 gallons, but tall tank, so don't want to overstock (obviously it's about water surface area, not gallons of water). I've kept aquariums before with great success, but won't overstate my competence. Looking for some easy, relatively beginner fish and again, don't want to overstock.

So what I'm planning so far:

- Cory Cats - 5-6, for the bottom.

- Rummy Nose Tetras - school of 10-12 - need to have a proper school to keep them happy and this would be my fun, active, schooling fish.

- Dwarf Gourami - thinking 3. Sort of the centerpiece. I had them before and loved them. Very beautiful, and I just really like them. Not sure what the optimal number is. Thoughts? I had 3 in my previous tank and they behaved themselves and all got along great, both with each other and their tank mates. But not sure if 3 is generally an optimal number.

So beyond that, not sure. I'm thinking one other type of fish, something nice and colorful and prob. only 4-5 of them. Since I don't want to overstock, I figure that all of the above plus one other type would prob give me a reasonable level. Any suggestions on a nice other fish that would play well with the above? Or another sort of "centerpiece" fish?

I'm still prob. about a week out for my cycle to finish (it's been 5 weeks in the making and yes, I know how to cycle a tank). Just not sure which direction to head re: stocking. Girlfriend wants me to get some platies b/c she saw the sunburst platies in the LFS and liked the bright orange color. Not sure about platies (never kept them or any other livebearer), but would like something that might contrast the others in terms of color. Believe platies are pretty docile as well, but open to anything sort of "bright and beautiful." Again, something to compliment the above in behavior, but contrast in color would be nice.

Anyway, thanks again for any suggestions. Look forward to being part of the forum.

The gourami are hit or miss. Typically it's suggested they are kept alone as they often become aggressive with each other though you'd have to try and see. Sometimes they are fine while juveniles and then become aggressive as they mature. Honey gourami are a gourami that usually do well in groups.

Another fish option would be an angelfish. They typically do well in taller tanks so would be a perfect fit for your column.

Golden honey gourami are a gorgeous yellow/orange color and sunset honey gourami are a pretty orange color. I think you could keep multiple of honey gouramis.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I had three Dwarf Gourami's in a previous tank and they all did very well, no issues. Only reason I don't still have them is I had to re-home due to a move. But they were fine for ~1 yr. in the tank. Maybe I just got lucky? Like Tam said, hit or miss...

Thanks for the tip on the Angels. I was thinking about them since a tall tank lends itself well to Angels. Will see what other replies come through, but an angel or two would be really nice. What do you think is a reasonable number, given some cory's and a school of rummy nose tetras? I know Angels need their space, so don't want to overdo it.

What do you have running on it for filtration?

I had a Koi angel and a sunset gourami(same as the honey just another color) in a 30 gallon and they did fantastic together. I'm not sure I would try it with dwarfs, especially without a back up plan. Some dwarfs can be real buttheads. lol. But it might be something to think about if you really like the gourami

Fluval 306 Canister Filter is what I'm running for filtration

Hmmm...maybe I'll just have to avoid the Dwarf's. Sounds like my previous experience was prob. the exception vs. the rule.

You could do a single veil angel, which come in any number of colors and would look awesome in a tall tank, and either blue, gold, or bolivian rams....they need about 12" square floor space per each one. Not sure what your tank's floor dimensions are.

Tank is 30 inches wide, 18 inches deep, 24 inches tall. As mentioned above, I'm running a Fluval 306 canister filter, which is supposed to be rated for 70 gallons. Hoping that's enough filtration.

Can I keep a single Angel? I generally prefer to keep fish in more than 1. I know you CAN keep a single species, but seems like most animals (fish or otherwise) are programmed to have a mate / companion. I had a friend that kept a single angel, and it always looked sad and lonely. Probably just me projecting, haha.

So if I did the Angel(s) (would prefer 2, but open to peoples advice that know more about keeping angels than myself), a small school of Cory's (5-6) and a group of rummy nose tetras (10-12), would that fill the tank? Seems decently stocked. I'd almost like to add one other type of fish, but not something that requires a large school. Maybe just a few (3-4), but not sure.

Thanks for the replies. Can't wait for my cycle to finish. So hard to just look at an empty tank for 5+ weeks...but I know from expereince that patience will pay off with happy, healthy fish once my bacteria is properly colonized.

You could do 2 perfectly fine.

I think 6 corys, 2 angels, and a school of 8 rummys is awesome and would still offer a bit of room to add something else. I would suggest a single honey gourami but if you would rather stay about from singles maybe 2-3 platies. They aren't too big, are nice and active and will make use of different levels of the tank and are really peaceful fish. They are a personal fav of mine.

Be warned they do poop a lot, so if you have sand it's pretty noticeable. That's my only complaint about them. lol. Being live bearers they will most likely breed but honestly if you left mother nature takes it course the fry would probably all be eaten by the other fish.

Back
Top Bottom