5g Betta tank - Airpump or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodeyesniper

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 5g Marineland Hex Tank. It has a filter but I wasn't planning on using it since Bettas have a tougher time swimming with them.

Do I need to get an airpump for the tank for some agitation or will I be okay without it? thanks!

I have a 5g Marineland Hex Tank. It has a filter but I wasn't planning on using it since Bettas have a tougher time swimming with them.

Do I need to get an airpump for the tank for some agitation or will I be okay without it? thanks!

I'd suggest you reconsider the no filter plan. An air pump/stone isn't going to replace the need for a filtration system. If the filter flow is too strong, consider options to redirect the flow, or a sponge filter is an option.

What about baffling my filter? I'd need to use a sponge though because of the way the filter works, I just don't know how to do it exactly

What about baffling my filter? I'd need to use a sponge though because of the way the filter works, I just don't know how to do it exactly

What kind of filter is it (make/model info helpful).

I used poly-fil stuff on the output slide of my Aqueon when I had my fry tank setup and that worked great for me. You could use a sponge in the same way, or others have use a plastic bottle cut down the length (remove top/bottom) and it catches the output, then diverts it to lessen the impact into the tank.

It's a Marineland Hex Eclipse 5 if that helps. It sucks water up through a tube and filters through a bio wheel

Gotcha. I had an integrated hex kinda like this a few years ago and returned it when the bio wheel quit working, so I'll leave it at that :ermm:. Nothing from google really shows the filter, so can't really come up with a specific idea for you.

Try some poly-fil, which you can get at a craft or fabric store and works in many types of filters if you have more than one tank (a bag will last a looong time).

Or get a sponge from a LFS that will fit on the output slide and at least break up the flow.

Alright thank you very much! I have a PetCo and PetSmart in the area so I will check both for a sponge :)

Yep, it'll be trial and error IME, but you definatly want the filter running. While you're there check out some sponge or intank filters, they take up a little space in the tank, but they do offer an option to the built in one.

Good luck and please keep us updated. Oh and pics always gets a +1 from me :D.

f0uiif.jpg

Here's the current tank setup--excuse the mess around it :)

I tested the water and it's ammonia is at about .25ppm but it's about 90% new water (It was semi cycled and the cycle in my 2g ended up crashing so I was just going to move him over to his new tank anyway so I wouldn't have to acclimate him to a cycle twice). I use Prime, as you can see, and I hear that will raise the ammonia levels on tests for the first 24 hours so hopefully I'll have the little guy in there tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom