5G stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meganangeline

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had recently purchased a 5G tank which came with a whisper filter. I also bought a heater for it. I had moved my current Molly fry into the tank thinking it would be easier to take care of them in there. Unfortunately half of them died, so I moved them back into the mesh breeder net in my 75G aquarium. Now I have an empty 5G aquarium. I was researching and found that shrimp, African dwarf frogs, OR a Betta would work in the tank fairly good. However, I am unsure of which inhabitant I would like, they're all so unique. Thanks for the help!!

I would recommend red cherry shrimp, because the 5gal won't support much of a bio-load

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My vote is for a cool planted Red Cherry (or there are some others which could be fun and easy to keep) shrimp scape, DW, Java Moss and lots of plants. Sand or Shrimp substrate, depending on your tap water and the shrimps pH needs. And put it somewhere you can sit, or stand a lot and can get a good close up view to see them all. I would also recommend a good cleaner snail to keep up with any uneaten food.

Although I have a friend and we set up a rescued Betta and 2 African Dwarf Frogs and a couple Red Ramshorn snails and a Mystery Snail in a 5G. They get along well. The Betta was mature and not a bully.

She loves them. Can't say as I recommend all Bettas to be housed with ADF though.

I vote the betta route! Mine lives peacefully with my nerite snails. Ramshorn snails are awesome but they explode like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone

The 5 with a lot of real or fake plants could be a good home for a very active and fun to watch betta. You'll have to do frequent large water changes but it's easy at that size.

Mystery snails are probably too big, I've tried it and they're so dirty ... But other snails maybe. I can't speak to shrimp but I hear great things.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Personally, I think red cherry shrimp are great. Also, you can often times pick up some extra trade-in money at your lfs if you sell in the spares after they breed. ;) I have also really enjoyed betta tanks though. Personally, I am a sucker female bettas. I find them to be more active than their male counterparts since they are not inhibited by all the fins. Curious little things. I have kept a betta with ghost shrimp and that worked out quite well. Most people do not have luck with bettas and rcs though, the bright red is too irresistible apparently and bettas tend to demolish them.

you could also do 1 pair of nano fish like scarlet badis (dario dario). they get to be less than one inch long and need plants but they are great little fish. I use a turkey baster to suck up the ick on the bottom of my nano tanks instead of a siphon and it works well.

I also think one betta would be nice too especially with some plants. I have never had good luck with shrimp but I have always wanted to try a small shrimp tank. Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom