6 yr olds 1st Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay... This has been a long time coming... I have a 6 year old son Jordan who's in 1st grade. He started out the school year very talkative, not finishing his work, being generally very distracted. He's in love with my tanks and wanted one of his own, so I thought perfect incentive! He would have to earn the tank, filter, heater, decorations, etc...Somehow that still didn't work for him and we struggled up until recently getting his little behind in order at school... Well, got a letter home today notifying me of an awards assembly next Friday the 24th that Jordan will be getting an award at with a note from his teacher saying, "Please do not tell him. I want it to be a surprise!"
Okay little man... You've earned your tank! I'm going to take a peek on Craigslist and see what I can find... In the very least I'll go to Petsmart and spend the $12 on the tank itself OR buy the 10g starter kit that comes with the hood, etc. for $29. From the beginning he liked "those little see thru guys" --- referring to my Twinbar platies... And after my couple batches were born he decided he wanted a few babies once he earned the tank. I thought, "Oh man you're making it simple for me son..." plenty of benefits here... No disease because I know the fish are healthy!
He's going to have to earn the fish and decorations... Every week he comes home with good reports he will be able to pick something out for his tank...
Gee.. Lots of options, backgrounds, gravel, decorations, cool colored hood lights... On and on :)

This has been a long time coming, and I'm to happy to be able to surprise him with his first tank when he comes home from school next Friday!

Anyone have ideas or suggestions? At the moment the only thing going in there will be a few teeny baby platies... They're about 1cm long at 6 wks old... I'm thinking shrimp may be fun for him once the tank cycles...

Ideas, comments, suggestions welcome!! :)

Wow this sounds like a great idea! I love the idea of him getting to pick out a new item every time he behaved/did well! Be careful though, you are introducing your son into a life long addiction! ;) goodluck!

Very cool!! Nice job little man!!

Well, he will definitly want the active, colorful, peaceful, hardy fish right? It would be devistating for a fish of his to die right?! It HAS to be hardy.

Im thinking glowlight tetras! I have some, and have for a year! They are sooo hardy, colorful and active. So theres an idea!

You could also try kuhli loaches! Buy enough (maybe 6?) and they are very active! Also, they look like little snakes... What little first grader doesnt like that?!?

Lastly...guppies! I think they woupd totally fit the bill with theyr colors and how they waddle all over the place lol!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Wow this sounds like a great idea! I love the idea of him getting to pick out a new item every time he behaved/did well! Be careful though, you are introducing your son into a life long addiction! ;) goodluck!

Thank you! AHHH YES I am... HOWEVER how many 6 yr olds do you hear ask (and I quote) "Mom, did you remember to change the water in that tank today so umm ya know the water doesn't get too bad and toxic for the little guys?" He watches me test the levels and I broke it down in a very simple way without explaining the Nitrogen Cycle to a first grader!

Tank will be in his room on a very sturdy desk. He has learned respect for the fish in terms of not putting his hands in the tank, etc..

Gboy66 said:
Very cool!! Nice job little man!!

Well, he will definitly want the active, colorful, peaceful, hardy fish right? It would be devistating for a fish of his to die right?! It HAS to be hardy.

Im thinking glowlight tetras! I have some, and have for a year! They are sooo hardy, colorful and active. So theres an idea!

You could also try kuhli loaches! Buy enough (maybe 6?) and they are very active! Also, they look like little snakes... What little first grader doesnt like that?!?

Lastly...guppies! I think they woupd totally fit the bill with theyr colors and how they waddle all over the place lol!

He will have 2 baby platies in there... So despite them being little specks now whatever he gets has to work around them and consider them full size so there's no rehoming, etc..

ocminpin said:
He will have 2 baby platies in there... So despite them being little specks now whatever he gets has to work around them and consider them full size so there's no rehoming, etc..

Well thats great, because all of the ideas i suggested would work well with platies:D

I would only put 1-2 platies in a 10g anyways

Gboy66 said:
Well thats great, because all of the ideas i suggested would work well with platies:D

I would only put 1-2 platies in a 10g anyways

How many kuhli loaches could go in a tank with 2 platies?

Edit: just read minimum tank size is 10g & min group of 3...

ocminpin said:
How many kuhli loaches could go in a tank with 2 platies?

Edit: just read minimum tank size is 10g & min group of 3...

Yup i'd do 4-6!

Hahahahaha thats so funny!! Does he know how to test the water or change the water himself yet?? Haha ;)

One tiny problem. I think if you get schooling fish it is best to get a few at a time so they have some buddies so you might have to get multiple fish at a time..

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hahahahaha thats so funny!! Does he know how to test the water or change the water himself yet?? Haha ;)

One tiny problem. I think if you get schooling fish it is best to get a few at a time so they have some buddies so you might have to get multiple fish at a time..

That's why I'll put in 2 baby platies so their tiny selves aren't alone after being in a group of 30! :)
And I can get all the loaches at once..

Khulis are super active
I'd do a 20 at least with them
Edit- What does the tank look like now?

sounds like a great plan! My oldest is 5 in a month and has spent the last several months proving he is responsible, earning money and helping with our other pets to earn up money to buy his own fish. We forked out the tank because we wanted a bigger family community tank but he's completely thrilled to go to the petstore with his own money and pay for his fish.

My son didn't follow directions at school the majority of the year (1st grade) and has been mischievous at home as well, so he never earned the tank. I actually sold one of my 10g's (the one he would have gotten) instead because I downsized...
If the time does ever come that he earned or deserves a tank I will definitely refer back to this thread. :)

If you want a colorful small fish you can't beat the endler's livebearer. All the fun of a guppy but smaller.

Back
Top Bottom