60 Gallon Peacock Cichlid Tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raccioppi83

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am preparing for a cichlid peacock tank. I just wanted some advice and suggestions.

I am using white sand and crushed corals as substrate.

I also have river rocks that have already been prepped for decor.

Maybe I should add more rocks? Maybe I should move them around a bit? Or maybe I'm happy with the set up I have.

Attachments

• Photo on 11-28-15 at 1.04 PM.jpg
    Photo on 11-28-15 at 1.04 PM.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 185
Sorry for the poor image quality, it was taken using my laptop. I also still need to get a background for my tank. I Have decided against spray painting this one.

I have the same tank and stand combo, Its a great peacock setup. I vote a few more rocks but not too many, peacocks are big swimmers. Do you have a variety of peacocks in mind? I keep Aulonocara hansbaenchi, that's him in my avatar.

I really like it, man... A lot. Good choice in rock. Only thing I say is a lil deeper substrate as well. They are huge diggers. Ive got pits 2ft around & 6-8" deep in my 150gl from the males. If you do add more river rock, the extra substrate can help pad the rock shifts that can be inevitable from the males pit diggings. More river rock can also provide hidey holes for babies. Dont build the river rock up... Build sprawling low stacks. Hope this helps. I bred them for years, so if you need any help holler. TMRC is an awesome peacock keeper as well.... Hes got great knowledge too.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! The positive feedback is very appreciated. I think I am going to hold off on adding more rocks because I don't like the idea of building unsafe structures.. I am not using any glue so god forbid one of the fish get excited and push the rock over and it cracks the glass or it kills another fish or itself.

As for species that I want to add.. @TMRC I really like Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Eureka"

I also like the Lemon Jake, sulfur head, OB, Ruby Red.. and I few other that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Yeah my avatar is a red shoulder, also known as blue regal peacock, Aulonocara hansbaenchi. The German reds are nice too. I also like the scarlet albino peacocks.

I decided to leave it.. Tank is filled and has begun cycling with media from my other tank. Let the wait, begin!

Attachments

• Photo on 11-28-15 at 3.17 PM.jpg
    Photo on 11-28-15 at 3.17 PM.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 120
Update and question! After having the water filled I can see that my Penguin 350 isn't circulating the water to the far side of the tank. Is this a problem for cichlids? Should I get a powerhead or bubbler to get some water movement or is that just unnecessary

In that same tank keeping cichlids I run a filter on the back of both cutouts a penguin 350 & Aqueon 75 plus a 225 gph power head. It sounds like a lot but with the depth and length of the tank I find it necessary. I'm around 800 gph turnover but 600 gph would be plenty.

Thank you, I'll have to look into another filter. Does the light that came with it not fit for you on the 350 side as well?

Thats weird, I can't fit the penguin and the light properly because of the light's on off switch button and the curved party of the penguin cover

Back
Top Bottom