60 gallon stock ideas...??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dschave

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have the tank cycling and will be needing some assistance with stocking. The tank is a birthday present for my son and he wants alot of colorful, active fish. The decision has been made to go with Cichlids and the girlfriend wants to try to incorporate these guys:

Demason
German Blue Ram

I've researched, and now I think I'm more confused than I was before. Can I get some guidance on compatability and maybe some other options for a nice full, active tank that a 3 year old will enjoy?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Aquarium.jpg
    Aquarium.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 425
Have the tank cycling and will be needing some assistance with stocking. The tank is a birthday present for my son and he wants alot of colorful, active fish. The decision has been made to go with Cichlids and the girlfriend wants to try to incorporate these guys:

Demason
German Blue Ram

I've researched, and now I think I'm more confused than I was before. Can I get some guidance on compatability and maybe some other options for a nice full, active tank that a 3 year old will enjoy?

Thanks in advance.

The two fish you have here are from totally different sides of the world and highly incompatible. Demason are Mbuna and require to be kept in Mbuna only tanks while GBR are fairly peaceful and can be kept with many community fish. Are you after an African cichlid tank or a community?

The two fish you have here are from totally different sides of the world and highly incompatible. Demason are Mbuna and require to be kept in Mbuna only tanks while GBR are fairly peaceful and can be kept with many community fish. Are you after an African cichlid tank or a community?

I don't think the question is if he wants African cichlid tank or community but should be what type of cichlids he wants. He specified that he decided to go with cichlids so now he needs to decide what type ( African, new world, etc ). But +1 to the two suggested cichlids being highly incompatible.

I guess I don't want to be handcuffed with a set species as I would like to have a relatively full stock with a number of different fish at different levels. I guess I need to find some fish that get as colorful as the Demasons. Would like the boy to have plenty to watch and interact with.

I guess I don't want to be handcuffed with a set species as I would like to have a relatively full stock with a number of different fish at different levels. I guess I need to find some fish that get as colorful as the Demasons. Would like the boy to have plenty to watch and interact with.

You want to find cichlids that are as colorful as the demasons AND compatible. Or else it'll be a war inside the tank. I'm not an expert on cichlid species but there are people on here that are. So hopefully they pop in and help ya out :).
And also, I would've rather put this thread in the cichlid discussion area and not the freshwater/brackish water- Getting started IMO.

Yeah, I'm hoping that they find the time and get me straightened out.

Maybe a mod can bump this into the correct forum?? If not, I can start another.

The thread is fine where it is.

Looks like you're in for some more research. Once you know what kind of fish you are after then it will be easier to help with a stock list.

Well...let me ask this then. If I go straight mbuna, what's the maximum in a 60 gallon tank? I'm thinking I'm going to have to have a community tank to have an abundance of fish therein.

The tank is 48" x 13", 24" tall. I'd like to have fish dwelling at all levels, bottom, middle, top.

From what I have read, cichlids are mostly bottom dwellers...?

Well...let me ask this then. If I go straight mbuna, what's the maximum in a 60 gallon tank? I'm thinking I'm going to have to have a community tank to have an abundance of fish therein.

The tank is 48" x 13", 24" tall. I'd like to have fish dwelling at all levels, bottom, middle, top.

So your gonna switch over too community tank? Cichlids can be bottom-mid dwellers. I have no idea how many mbuna you can have in a 60g but if you go with community, I can definitely help. I'm good on community and not cichlids ;).

It really depends what Mbuna exactly. Some are larger and/or more aggressive than others. Also depends if you want to include compatible haps or peacocks. Most say to over stock and over filter an African tank. You could be looking at 15-20 fish plus a couple of compatible catfish. Africans need a species only tank. So no community fish.

Dwarf cichlids are mostly bottom dwellers. Many of them can be kept with certain community fish.

Well, here's what I'm looking for:

Very colorful, active fish. I want to utilize the full height of the tank. And the look of the cichlids, and some actual cichlids have been requested (have to keep the significant others happy, I'm sure you understand).

I'm cycling now so I can stick a large number of fish in at once, like I said,I have a birthday boy that is climbing the walls wondering when his fish are going to be in his tank.

I don't want to say that money isn't an issue, but there probably isn't much that won't be entertained if it's going to fit the criteria. The GBR or the Demason has to be in there for sure, obviously they both cannot.

I'm still researching, but certainly appreciate the advice.

I have African cichlids. I was always told to keep the species from each of the 3 lakes separate I have a 30 gallon with 11. 2 zebra obliqs 2 aci 2 red peacocks and a few others. Running an emperor 400 on it. My fish are always active in all levels of the tank.

It really depends what Mbuna exactly. Some are larger and/or more aggressive than others. Also depends if you want to include compatible haps or peacocks. Most say to over stock and over filter an African tank. You could be looking at 15-20 fish plus a couple of compatible catfish. Africans need a species only tank. So no community fish.

Dwarf cichlids are mostly bottom dwellers. Many of them can be kept with certain community fish.

Any chance you could provide an example of a full stock of the compatible Mbuna and a full stock of community with compatible Cichlids, so I can show them what we could have?

Sorry to be a nuisance, I just don't want to mess this up and have WW3 in the tank. I'm going for 0 injured, or worse, fish.

Thanks

Any chance you could provide an example of a full stock of the compatible Mbuna and a full stock of community with compatible Cichlids, so I can show them what we could have? Sorry to be a nuisance, I just don't want to mess this up and have WW3 in the tank. I'm going for 0 injured, or worse, fish. Thanks

Although I've had my own African tank for over a year, I don't have any experience keeping the cichlid you have listed above nor have I ever done any research into its behavior. I don't feel I could supply a stock list including that fish. I strongly encourage you to research into the needs of these types of fish before considering them. Because of their aggressive nature there is no guarantee that there will not be territorial disputes resulting in the injury or death of some fish. It's a risk that's always there when keeping even a correctly stocked Malawi tank.

The rams on the other hand I can help with!
IMO a nice stock list for a beginner would include a pair (m:f) of rams (bottom), an angel (mid), a small group of cory catfish (bottom) and a couple of schools of non-nipping tetras or rasboras (mid-top). I know you have German blue rams listed but they can be quite sensitive. May I suggest you look into Bolivian rams? They are slightly bigger and hardier than the GBR.

Yeah, I've been researching for the better part of the day. There are definitely some concerns with Africans. I'll keep looking and go from there.

Going to take a look at the stock you suggested and see how that goes.

Thanks again

Ok, some ideas

Pseudotropheus Demasoni
Labidochromis Yellow Lab
Petrotilapia Chitimba
Maylandia Estherae

2 females and 1 male of each

Unless I messed something up, those should all be Malawi Mbuna and while not perfect together, they should be able to coexist.

Concerns??

I throw in a couple zebra obliqs with that also. I always bout my cichlids small. I'd buy a group of 4 and weed out the ones I didn't want.

Back
Top Bottom