7 weeks - Nitrites/Nitrates haven't budged from 0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LT1FirebirdSLP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
pH 7.2
Temp ~78°F
Ammonia ~1 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Chrlorine 0

10 Black Phantom Tetras
1 Snail
1 Pleco

28 Gallon Bowfront

Biowheel with single filter.

I can't seem to figure this one out. I change my water about once a week 30% - 50% changes weekly.

Everyone in the tank is doing fine, only one tetra had to be moved to a hospital tank because he started exhibiting odd behavior (i.e. swimming upside down, sideways, into things) He still does it but he eats and generally seems OK, just does not swim the right way at all. Another member suggested brain damage, kinda like when you are deprived of oxygen for such a period of time. Excessive ammonia can do this apparently.

My question is why is my tank not cycling, I have 0 NITRITES 0 NITRATES. They have never gone up. What is the matter here?

Thanks in advance.

It can take a long time to cycle with fish. The main reason is because you have to keep your ammonia down and without a good source of ammonia, the tank will take forever to cycle. if you have a qt, it may be worth your time to just move all the fish in it, get the ammonia up around 4ppm, stop doing pwc's, and it should cycle. You could also try something like stress-zyme, though most people on here dont recommend using bacteria additives, ive had very good luck with it, as well as a few other people on here. Also, ammonia at 1ppm is toxic to fish, you may not see the signs now, but ammonia that high is poisoning them... that is probably what you are seeing in the one who you qt'd already

seed the tank from your friend's tank
cut a small piece of sponge or a bio filter material and seed your tank with it
the fastest and surest way
also the cheapest

Back
Top Bottom