70-100g lots of questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonathan aqtank

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys.
Im back here after some research and math about my planned new tank. Ive got some questions and really need your adviced!

First of all, i'll explain, whats my plan:
1. Get a glasstank (70-100gallon)
2. Get a fitting external filter
3. Craft a base cabinet (out of concrete)
4. Get fitting lighting to put over the tank on the wall
5. Stock the tank fishfair!

Im not sure about the actual size. It depends to the filter and the lighting. Can you give me information about external filters? I never used one yet. Besides i need help at the decision, which kind of lamp i should get. (Power and size)

I think i should know about this stuff before thinking about the fish.
I hope you guys can help me out a little bit.

Greets Jonatan
Btw. Its gonna be a freshwater tank.

Hello jonathan,
Get the biggest tank you can find.A hundred gallons really isn't that big.I just put 18 little fish in a 125 and it seems pretty well stocked to me.Believe me I had much higher hopes.
Canister filters ,I don't trust them but seriously looking in to them.
lighting I look at the pictures and dream then piece together what I have
Looking forward to see your stand sounds awesome

Is there anything special about canister filters? Do anyone has got experiences with a special one?
Ill get the biggest i can get! I will post a picture of the stand when its done.
Jonatan

Jonathan ,
I wish I could help you all I know is what I've read.
Some on here swear by the Fluval fx6 it's quite pricey
some say the sun sun aka aqua top is a reliable inexpensive filter
and it comes with a uv
without the Internet I would go with Marineland , Hagen or Ehiem
those are brands I trust

• Tank size - I think a 75g is just about perfect for a tank. It has good depth as well as acceptable height.
  • Lights - It all depends on what you're looking for. If you're going for a planted tank with medium or high light expect to drop at least $250 on lights. What are your plans as far as planting goes?
  • Filter - I'm a fan of HOB filters personally. I currently use an Aquaclear HOB filter which is an excellent product. I also use Eheim and Aquatop / Sunsun canoster filters. They all work well, I just find that HOB filters are much easier to take care of. I would personally go with 2 HOB filters shooting for Aquaclears out of personal preference. 2 AQ70s would get the job done nicely. Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Power Filters
  • Base - How are you planning on making this?
  • Fish - A lot of this stuff needs to be chosen with fish in mind. There are 3 fairly broad classifications of tanks out there which will each have their own requirements. 1 - African Cichlids 2 - Community 3 - Planted tank

• Tank size - I think a 75g is just about perfect for a tank. It has good depth as well as acceptable height.
  • Lights - It all depends on what you're looking for. If you're going for a planted tank with medium or high light expect to drop at least $250 on lights. What are your plans as far as planting goes?
  • Filter - I'm a fan of HOB filters personally. I currently use an Aquaclear HOB filter which is an excellent product. I also use Eheim and Aquatop / Sunsun canoster filters. They all work well, I just find that HOB filters are much easier to take care of. I would personally go with 2 HOB filters shooting for Aquaclears out of personal preference. 2 AQ70s would get the job done nicely. Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Power Filters
  • Base - How are you planning on making this?
  • Fish - A lot of this stuff needs to be chosen with fish in mind. There are 3 fairly broad classifications of tanks out there which will each have their own requirements. 1 - African Cichlids 2 - Community 3 - Planted tank

+1 to all of this. If you have an idea on fish we can center the tank around them. Like if you want cichlids, specifically the larger SA ones or Africans we can rule out planted. So any light would do because you are not trying to meet requirements for plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi.
Thanks for the answers :)
It will become a planted soutamerica-communitytank.

I want to take ytong concrete (idk the exact word.) Its a kind of really lowweighted rocks. You can get them at a construction market. Ill cut them and make it fitting the tank. After that ill paint it.

Is it worth it to use LED ?

Jonatan

IMO led are the best. The new Finnex 24/7 came out not long ago ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi guys.
I decided to get a 100gallon tank. (5'×1'5"×1'5") I know everything about the filtration now.
Is there anything special about the lighting? I want to get LED but im not sure which LED i'd get. I need advice.

Greets Jonatan

If i were you, i would suspend them from the ceiling. That way you can control the light level as well as easily mount then.

Well. thats a great idea. Thank you for that!
I think i can start ordering stuff now.
Ill start the tank in july, because of my b-day. Maybe ill post some pictures then.

Jonatan

Back
Top Bottom