75 gal help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 75 gallon to hopefully build the stand for Saturday morning and start the tank in the afternoon. I plan on having 60 lbs of eco complete as the base soil. And the rest in pfs. I already have the ecocomplete in the tank I have now and could maybe mix in floramax as that's all my lfs has. Its there a specific brand of pfs that looks great. I want a little darker of a color but its not necessary.

Stocking

Is there a limit to the number of ram pairs I have in there. I want a gbr pair (already have) with a Bolivian ram pair, and a golden ram pair. The tank will be heavily planted. And have rocks and driftwood to help with the territory issue.

Also does anyone know of a place to order high quality discus with a not so high price. The nearest location for discus is an hour and a half away and they only carry two of the species I want.

Last two q's. Will a pleco cause an issue with my discus. I plan on getting a clown pleco. I heard they have been known to suck on to a discuses mucus layer. But my ottos and panda garras are phat. I mean phat. I drop in algae waffers and they go nuts. But I want to make sure there isn't a problem.

Can rcs work? I have ghost shrimp now and they are doing great. Will my other stock eat them. Are my ghost shrimp not gone because they are hard to find?

Thanks.

So I have a 75 gallon to hopefully build the stand for Saturday morning and start the tank in the afternoon. I plan on having 60 lbs of eco complete as the base soil. And the rest in pfs. I already have the ecocomplete in the tank I have now and could maybe mix in floramax as that's all my lfs has. Its there a specific brand of pfs that looks great. I want a little darker of a color but its not necessary.

Most PFS that I have seen is pretty light in color. There is some variation between brands, but not a whole lot. I can't recommend a specific brand.

Stocking

Is there a limit to the number of ram pairs I have in there. I want a gbr pair (already have) with a Bolivian ram pair, and a golden ram pair. The tank will be heavily planted. And have rocks and driftwood to help with the territory issue.

I think you should be ok with those fish. You can never be 100% sure, but the rams really aren't very aggressive, even when breeding, for the most part.

Also does anyone know of a place to order high quality discus with a not so high price. The nearest location for discus is an hour and a half away and they only carry two of the species I want.

Unless the discus are wild types, they are color variants (not individual species) created by hobbyists through selective breeding and probably hybridization. I would try searching around www.simplydiscus.com for some recommended breeders. Those people really know discus and they will not steer you wrong.

Last two q's. Will a pleco cause an issue with my discus. I plan on getting a clown pleco. I heard they have been known to suck on to a discuses mucus layer. But my ottos and panda garras are phat. I mean phat. I drop in algae waffers and they go nuts. But I want to make sure there isn't a problem.

You won't see much of the clown pleco. They're quite shy. I've heard of plecos attaching to discus but I think it's the exception rather than the rule.

Can rcs work? I have ghost shrimp now and they are doing great. Will my other stock eat them. Are my ghost shrimp not gone because they are hard to find?

Your rams and discus would enjoy RCS very much, but that's probably not the outcome you are looking for. ;)

Thanks.

Answers in bold above. Good luck! :)

Thanks. But I can't access the link to the breeders/sponsors

Just talked to two lfs today. My petco says they might be able to order some discus for me and my privately owned lfs says they used to have them on a consistent basis but the suppliers quality droped so they stopped ordering them some years ago. Both will call and give me quotes.

I would really not recommend ordering discus from a chain store. In all likelihood, they're going to get them from a wholesaler and that is not the way you're going to get quality discus. The LFS might be a better bet but if you go that route, I would suggest asking them where the fish are coming from.

One of my club friends is a discus breeder. I don't believe he sells at this time but he knows a LOT of breeders. I'll ask what he thinks and get back to you. :)

I would really not recommend ordering discus from a chain store. In all likelihood, they're going to get them from a wholesaler and that is not the way you're going to get quality discus. The LFS might be a better bet but if you go that route, I would suggest asking them where the fish are coming from.

One of my club friends is a discus breeder. I don't believe he sells at this time but he knows a LOT of breeders. I'll ask what he thinks and get back to you. :)

They told me if they don't look up to my standards I don't have to take them

Well ok, that sounds like a pretty legit policy. :)

In case you are interested, my club friend said he has bought from most of the Simply Discus sponsors and would recommend any of them. He specifically mentioned Mike Beals - Central Ohio Discus and Discus Hans. If you would like my friend's contact email just PM me- he has offered to answer your questions and just generally help you out.

Back
Top Bottom