75 gal. stock advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BK Buttikoferi

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 75 gallon i finally want to make use of. Im torn between a discus setup and a shark tank. I have no experience with either so......... What do you think.? I have my 55 gal. SA cichlid tank and my 20 gal. Tetra tank both doing well so i want to move up to my 75.

What do you mean by shark tank? There really is only 2 types of shark you could put in a 75 the Red Tailed Shark, or Rainbow Shark you can't do balas or silver sharks. I'm in vote for a discus setup if your up for all the maintenance!

What do you mean by shark tank? There really is only 2 types of shark you could put in a 75 the Red Tailed Shark, or Rainbow Shark you can't do balas or silver sharks. I'm in vote for a discus setup if your up for all the maintenance!

Thats what im thinking about with the discus tank. They are pricey as well. I was thinking red tail sharks, botias and a catfish.

Oh ok that would actually be amazing I might change my vote haha. You could have the shark and one more school or else your bottoms going to be getting crowded. then a big semi aggressive school for your higher water levels. You could do something like

1- Red Tailed Shark
6- Yoyo or Angelica's loaches or 4- pictus cats
8- Rosy Barbs
1- Bristlenose pleco

There's still room for 1 more centerpiece type fish why not a semi aggressive new world cichlid. Look at firemouths they would fit in perfectly with this stock list!

There could be one issue. Sharks tend to become very aggressive towards fish that have a similar body shape to them so you may have some issues with sharks and loaches.

There could be issues but I used to keep a red tailed shark with loaches and there were no issues. But I guess it depends on the temperaments you may as well try of you want to though.

Oh ok that would actually be amazing I might change my vote haha. You could have the shark and one more school or else your bottoms going to be getting crowded. then a big semi aggressive school for your higher water levels. You could do something like 1- Red Tailed Shark 6- Yoyo or Angelica's loaches or 4- pictus cats 8- Rosy Barbs 1- Bristlenose pleco There's still room for 1 more centerpiece type fish why not a semi aggressive new world cichlid. Look at firemouths they would fit in perfectly with this stock list!

Sounds like a cool tank!!! Only change I would make is on the pictus. Too often pimodella and pictus are often mislabeled and as babies they are nearly impossible to tell apart. I have a 10 inch striped pimodella (still growing) in my 150g that was given to me because a pet shop sold an unaware customer one pimodella and 5 pictus as a school of 6 pictus to max out at approximately 8 inches.... This one kept growing. Plus be it pictus or pimodella your midsized schooling loaches would be out competed for food and space. Here's another loach tank idea-
1 albino rainbow shark
5 yo yo loaches
5 panda (or skunk) loaches
10 blushing X-ray
7 blind cave tetra
2 long finned albino bristle nosed pleco
20 or so algae eating ghost shrimp
3 or 4 upside down syndontis cats

Unless you or someone who can advise you, have experience with jungle black water biotopes a discus tank may wind up being an expensive and incredibly stressful experience. If you are interested in a discus tank might I suggest starting with a couple angels to get the feel for heavily planted black water aquatics, then once you're more familiar with the ecosystem balance you could start by adding one discus at a time (you can keep the angels or try to trade them, doesn't really matter). Here's an idea for a discus tank that might be cool.
1 pair black angels
1 pair pigeon blood discus
1 pair turquoise discus
(Choose 2 pair only though)
8 oto cats
5 emerald bronchi catfish
1 mystery snail/ trapdoor snail
3 rabbit snails
5 nerita snails
A few watermelon fiddler crabs to add some humor, just make sure they have a floating betta log in case they aren't 100% aquatic (some are some aren't so I have found)

Just a couple ideas off the top of my head

There could be one issue. Sharks tend to become very aggressive towards fish that have a similar body shape to them so you may have some issues with sharks and loaches.

Well i have cichlids in my other tank. I could easily transfer one over. All still juvenile and not too aggressive. For bottom feeders i was thinking about 4 red bellied kribensis and a banjo catfish because they stay relatively small. So a red tail shark, 2 red tail botia 4 kribensis and a banjo catfish. My center fish could be a geophagus. I love the colors. And if theres room maybe one of my SA cichlids. I will post pics and keep you updated. Thanks.

Sounds like a cool tank!!! Only change I would make is on the pictus. Too often pimodella and pictus are often mislabeled and as babies they are nearly impossible to tell apart. I have a 10 inch striped pimodella (still growing) in my 150g that was given to me because a pet shop sold an unaware customer one pimodella and 5 pictus as a school of 6 pictus to max out at approximately 8 inches.... This one kept growing. Plus be it pictus or pimodella your midsized schooling loaches would be out competed for food and space. Here's another loach tank idea-
1 albino rainbow shark
5 yo yo loaches
5 panda (or skunk) loaches
10 blushing X-ray
7 blind cave tetra
2 long finned albino bristle nosed pleco
20 or so algae eating ghost shrimp
3 or 4 upside down syndontis cats

Unless you or someone who can advise you, have experience with jungle black water biotopes a discus tank may wind up being an expensive and incredibly stressful experience. If you are interested in a discus tank might I suggest starting with a couple angels to get the feel for heavily planted black water aquatics, then once you're more familiar with the ecosystem balance you could start by adding one discus at a time (you can keep the angels or try to trade them, doesn't really matter). Here's an idea for a discus tank that might be cool.
1 pair black angels
1 pair pigeon blood discus
1 pair turquoise discus
(Choose 2 pair only though)
8 oto cats
5 emerald bronchi catfish
1 mystery snail/ trapdoor snail
3 rabbit snails
5 nerita snails
A few watermelon fiddler crabs to add some humor, just make sure they have a floating betta log in case they aren't 100% aquatic (some are some aren't so I have found)

Just a couple ideas off the top of my head

I like the way those stock lists sound. I might have to buy another tank. Lol !

For many years now keeping discus and angelfish together are not recommended mostly because there is a parasite angels can carry that does not affect them but is deadly to discus. Personally I'd do either one of the other.

For many years now keeping discus and angelfish together are not recommended mostly because there is a parasite angels can carry that does not affect them but is deadly to discus. Personally I'd do either one of the other.

I think im going to pass on the discus. Seems like alot of work and expense. Im going with the shark stock list with a redtail shark, a pair of botias and a banjo catfish, some kribensis and a geophagus. As for the top layer, can i add an african butterfly. They seem pretty cool and laid back. I dont know anything about them though.

Most Geophagus need to be in at least a trio or larger group. Depending on what Geo's you get some can be aggressive and reach 10" or more.

Most Geophagus need to be in at least a trio or larger group. Depending on what Geo's you get some can be aggressive and reach 10" or more.

I didnt know this. I think the one i liked was a heckilli. I hope im
spelling that right. Someone suggested a firemouth. They are kinda cool looking. Ive kept the fighting down really well in my other tanks. Dont want to go back down that road again. Lol.

Acarichthys Heckelii are beautiful but need pristine water. I had a couple but they had problems. I think my ph is too high for them. They max out at about 10" also. I really like them. Also just so you know they aren't geophagus either. Google acarichthys Heckelii there is some good information on them.

I like the way those stock lists sound. I might have to buy another tank. Lol !

Thank you :) my job has given the opportunity to study ornamental fish bio feedback on decorative aquaponic gardens and these are lists that have worked optimally for me and have amused my 8 year old, my 13 year old and every single person that has wondered enough to peek in, along with getting the opportunity to rescue, rehab and rehome (or keep :p) some really cool exotics. Good luck and have fun!!!

Back
Top Bottom