Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

75 Gallon Setup Ideas

I'm having a heck of a time trying to come up with a 'theme' for my 75 gallon aquarium. I need some ideas! This tank will be a community tank for peaceful and semi-aggressive (as some of them are labeled) fish. I don't want to have live plants because I don't know enough about caring for live plants and how it effects the overal parameters of a tank. I'd like to have it natural looking, but not cluttered. I'm afraid of having to much decor in the tank and not being able to find a fish if it dies.

So anyway, I know that I want gravel (not sand), fake plants (assorted sizes), rocks (maybe some medium to large), and definitely some nice cave like hiding spots as most of the fish I want to keep like having safe hiding spots to retreat to.

The problem that I have is that a 75 gallon allows for so much more room to decorate and plan for than my 46 gallon so I'm stuck on how to arrange things. If anyone can post pictures of their tanks of this size (or larger) so I can get some ideas that would be great!!

Thanks!

Old 02-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, here is my 75 gallon Oscar (and friends) tank.

I have to leave a lot of swimming room for the Oscar, and would be more elaborate with decoration if it was a community tank.

You can still have live plants and not have to be an expert at all. Anybody can grow anubias and java fern. I particularly love the java fern. It produces little baby plants at the tips of the leaves. These can be collected when they get big and free floating and then attached to a rock or piece of driftwood with a litle string or rubber band. Soon, that little bay plant will attach itself to the rock by its roots. I bought just a couple small plants 2 years ago and now have java fern attached to decorations in all my aquariums. It even survives living with a messy clumsy oscar!

Old 02-28-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go for a theme of what more likely the fish inviroment is, for example if it is african fish a theme that represents plants, rocks and caves etc. if it is south american it be plants, roots, driftwood etc, look at this for some examples.

http://gofish.fibervault.com/

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...r=asc&start=75

scroll up and down look into it see if something like this would be of interest.
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com