75 Gallon Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ezrhino

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here goes. I've had an empty 75 gallon sitting in my house for the past 4 years. I finally got around to making a stand for it so I wanted to start a stocking thread.

Initially, I had plans on going saltwater. Did my research. Had everything planned out, but just wasn't ready for it. Now I've decided on a freshwater community tank. I've just registered with the site, but I've been reading the forums for the past two weeks.

This is my current setup.

75 Gallon Freshwater currently in week one of a fishless cycle.
Quikrete Medium Sand as substrate.
Rena XP3 canister filter.
Artifical plants and multiple pieces of driftwood.

This is my stocking plan:
10 Neon Tetra
8 Glowlight Tetra
8 Panda Corys
8 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Male Jade Head Guppy
10-12 Female Jade Head Guppy
6 Boesemani Rainbow
4 Neon Dwarf Rainbow

Please tell me if you see any issues. Just about everything I looked at said that these fish were compatible. Am I overstocked? Understocked? Any suggestions on other fish?

Welcome! You sound like me.. Got a tank to do a SW setup and decided to go community FW.. I have a 75g myself with quikcrete sand.. I did not however plan on going planted in the long run.. I would have added some more sand had I thought I would have done that. If you think you will go planted, I'd do 3 bags at this point to give me a little deeper sand bed.. If not, 2 bags..

My tank is current stocked with
14 Bloodfin Tetras
9 Black Neon Tetras
7 Glass Cats
7 Schwartzi Cory's
1 Veil Angel
1 Blue Gourami
3 Otto cats
2 Angel Botia's
1 Bamboo shrimp
Malaysian Trumpet Snails..

I find I wish I had stuck with just one type of schooling fish and had larger fish around them. I'd say pick one type of smaller schooling fish and go with that to start. My tetras will school every now and then, but since there are so many and two different types, it looks like chaos sometimes.

I would also think about getting some malaysian trumpet snails.. They do breed in FW however. So keep that in mind.. Some people consider them a pest, I consider them my "cleaning crew." They help keep my sand clean and turned over so I don't worry about anerobic pockets being trapped in the sand.. I just ordered some nerite snails as well. They are, from what I have read, aggressive algae eaters.. Not all types of algae, but they look pretty neat and don't seem as aggressive at breeding in a FW setup..

There is a pretty neat tool at aqadvisor.com that will give you some insight on stocking levels and compatibility of fish..

Back
Top Bottom