75G RCS only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sooo i know it sounds a little extreme but i do what i love and i love what i do. and i do crazy stuff like that:dance:. i have a good colony of RCS going in my 10 gal tank right now, when the 75 is cycled. how many rcs do you think it can hold?

also is it really true that if shrimp have alot of hiding spots the reproduce faster? all i have right now in my 75 gal is sand sub and thats it. but it also is only rcs so they dont need to hide from anything. so save me from my certin death from thinking to hard and help a guy out.

lastly, once i do the transer my 10 gal is open... what is a crazy idea for a ten gal? i dont wana hear it inless its crazy and out of the ordinary. if i dont find somthing i like i will just make it a neon tetra and ghost shrimp tank. how many tetra's will fit? it has 2 HOB filters and is well established.

Thanks!
-Mike

That sounds awesome! I'm pretty sure you can fit A LOT of shrimp into the 75 gallon. Hahaha. You could probably fit 5 neon tetras easily and ghost shrimp into the 10 gallon.

Oops! i put this in the wrong section.... does anyone know how to put a thread somwhere else?

is there a list of them that are online?

No problem! :) And I believe so... Just click "Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community" bar and scroll all the way to the bottom. It should tell you who's on or not.

I've got a 40b and there are easily a hundred, if not hundreds in there. So the short answer is...tons.

I do suggest you consider planting the tank, as RCS really spend a lot of time cleaning plants and it gives them another source of food, as well as cover.

The shrimp naturally hide around molting time because that's when they are most vulnerable to predators, so having lots of hiding places is a good thing. Putting some handfuls of java moss in there would help them out a lot, and not require much for lighting to maintain.

jetajockey said:
I've got a 40b and there are easily a hundred, if not hundreds in there. So the short answer is...tons.

I do suggest you consider planting the tank, as RCS really spend a lot of time cleaning plants and it gives them another source of food, as well as cover.

The shrimp naturally hide around molting time because that's when they are most vulnerable to predators, so having lots of hiding places is a good thing. Putting some handfuls of java moss in there would help them out a lot, and not require much for lighting to maintain.

In my ten gal i think there are close to eighty.

And thank you. I want a planted tank but the tank i got was free and came with no lights... Id rathrr not go out and fork over a ton of money for lights and plants. I might anyways but id rather nit.

Just go with really low demand plants.

I keep java ferns and java moss in tanks that don't have any lighting on them at all. Just an idea if you care to do so, the shrimp will really appreciate it.

As far as lighting goes, if you can save up for a dual t8 shop light from HD or lowes they are about 20 dollars + another 10 or so for daylight spectrum bulbs, it's all you need to grow really low light stuff.

jetajockey said:
Just go with really low demand plants.

I keep java ferns and java moss in tanks that don't have any lighting on them at all. Just an idea if you care to do so, the shrimp will really appreciate it.

As far as lighting goes, if you can save up for a dual t8 shop light from HD or lowes they are about 20 dollars + another 10 or so for daylight spectrum bulbs, it's all you need to grow really low light stuff.

Is there an easy way to make a stand ir so.thing for it?

You mean for a light? If so, hang it from the ceiling is easiest, but there are a few other methods. Shop lights don't get super hot, so you can rest them on supports also if necessary.

jetajockey said:
You mean for a light? If so, hang it from the ceiling is easiest, but there are a few other methods. Shop lights don't get super hot, so you can rest them on supports also if necessary.

Ill make supports. I dont want anything hanging. So what would those lights enable me to grow?

Unfortunately, t8's over a 75 will keep you in the pretty low light category, meaning that you will likely only be able to grow the really low demand plants like ferns and mosses. However, if you do end up in the market for a fixture, there are some relatively cheap ones to be had on ebay. I've gotten several of the 4ft single bulb t5ho growlight fixtures from ebay for around 35-40 each and they work great.

Another nice one is the oddysea fixture, which i've yet to try, but will soon. They have a 4ft 2x54w T5ho fixture that will fit right on top of the tank and its around $65 shipped, bulbs and everything.

The quality of the fixture is so-so, reflectors and bulbs could definitely be improved upon, however, they work well enough to put you into the medium light area where you'll be able to grow most plants yet not necessarily be so high that you'll be forced to go into pressurized co2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-T5-HO-Aquari...539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a7829c13

jetajockey said:
Unfortunately, t8's over a 75 will keep you in the pretty low light category, meaning that you will likely only be able to grow the really low demand plants like ferns and mosses. However, if you do end up in the market for a fixture, there are some relatively cheap ones to be had on ebay. I've gotten several of the 4ft single bulb t5ho growlight fixtures from ebay for around 35-40 each and they work great.

Another nice one is the oddysea fixture, which i've yet to try, but will soon. They have a 4ft 2x54w T5ho fixture that will fit right on top of the tank and its around $65 shipped, bulbs and everything.

The quality of the fixture is so-so, reflectors and bulbs could definitely be improved upon, however, they work well enough to put you into the medium light area where you'll be able to grow most plants yet not necessarily be so high that you'll be forced to go into pressurized co2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/48-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-Strip-Hood-Plant-6500K-108W-/290573163539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a7829c13

Sweet deal. Thank you for you help:]

Also. When i was given the tank it only came with very little sand. Maybe an inch total onnthe bottom. Is that okay?

Yeah it'll be fine but you'll have issues keeping any plants rooted. You could go with plants that don't really have intense root structures though, stuff like hornwort, cabomba, wisteria, java ferns, etc, don't build really large root structures and are fine floating or just sitting on top of the sand, you'll just need plant weights to hold them down.

jetajockey said:
Yeah it'll be fine but you'll have issues keeping any plants rooted. You could go with plants that don't really have intense root structures though, stuff like hornwort, cabomba, wisteria, java ferns, etc, don't build really large root structures and are fine floating or just sitting on top of the sand, you'll just need plant weights to hold them down.

What plants attatch good to rocks?

Back
Top Bottom