75g Tank Setup Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sehr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy Folks,

Looking for some help in setting up my 75g FW Tank. I am not new to aquarium keeping, but its been quite some time since I have done anything. Last tanks were breeding Convict Cichlids and Jack Dempsey's. The fish survived and I more than adequately met there needs (were prolific breeders after all), but more could have been done for them. Prior to that I had a pair of semi aquatic turtles in a massive 175g tank with 2x large rena canister filters. So I'm looking to do this one right, i am aware of cycling the tank and have the links so we can skip the obligatory cycling links :)

First what I have so far: Flat Standard 75 gallon glass aquarium, full glass hood, 48" w/ normal fluorescent tube light, 25 ft python, black sand substrate

That's it, we are rounding out the rest of our decor of the next few days so I need to make a decision on heaters and filters so my wife doesn't kill me for taking to long. I want to do it right, but she is getting antsy to start, I have been doing research for a week after all :)

Our Tank Goals: Tropical community tank, we would like to find a few/handful of larger fish for centerpieces and then some schooling fish and clean up crew. (We have not selected fish types yet, recommendations are appreciated) We would like to ensure minimal issues, and reduce the maintenance with the environment so we are looking for quality items with good bang for your buck. I'd prefer to spend an extra $20 bucks on a filter instead of adding more PWC

So heater recommendations?

Filter recommendations? I'm on the fence between HOB and a cheaper canister depending on needs.

Beyond the hardware recommendations also looking for the where to get. All I have is strip mall sized Petco & Petsmart's within an hour, so beyond Amazon and these box stores are there other good sites.

We buy much of our aquarium, and most other pet stuff at drsfostersmith.com. They have free shipping for orders over 45.00, and their prices are usually a bit lower than even the chain stores. It should be said that I believe they own Petco. I occasionally buy fish from the chain stores. They usually have a 14 day policy for dead and/or diseased fish, but don't expect the same quality fish as you would get from a LFS. Also, the chain store fish are usually quite small for the species, so it will take them awhile to grow. Sometimes, but rarely, I run across a chain store employee who actually knows fish, but it's better to go prepared. Some informative websites I like and have ready on my phone are seriouslyfish.com, Fishlore.com, and Aqadvisor.com. I'm sure other people here can recommend other sites as well.
As for heaters, I've had good luck with Aqueon. I typically use fully submersible heaters, and go with at least a size larger than recommended for the tank size.
I can't recommend a stocking plan, as it's up to the aquarium owner what they like. You'll have a few weeks to decide after your tank is set up while it's cycling. That's your time to do window shopping and find what you want in it.

You should go with a bunch of different kinds of rainbowfish. Some grow a bit larger and make great centrepieces, while other smaller species look good in large groups. Some colourful ones are boesemani, neon dwarf, turquoise, red, yellow, and parkinsoni.

Back
Top Bottom