8' plywood tank (200+gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vance1013 said:
Lol i cant wait to see this all done

You and me both lol. I think the biggest issue will be getting the glass for the front pane as it will need to be 7.5'x1.5'

Mrc8858 said:
You and me both lol. I think the biggest issue will be getting the glass for the front pane as it will need to be 7.5'x1.5'

Holy hell that's a big piece of glass!! Lmao!!!

See I thought about cutting 2 windows instead of one large one but man I really want that one big piece of glass lol. Almost got all my boards cut (gonna need to pick up a few more 2x4s too since 9 is all I can take in my car at a time and didn't feel like borrowing a truck lol

Mrc8858 said:
See I thought about cutting 2 windows instead of one large one but man I really want that one big piece of glass lol. Almost got all my boards cut (gonna need to pick up a few more 2x4s too since 9 is all I can take in my car at a time and didn't feel like borrowing a truck lol

Omg haha this is going to be ridiculous when its finished

Mrc8858 said:

That is big i use to deliver windows i know thats not light lol i think that would look good that way

Mrc8858 said:

You do whatcha can lol

Well good morning everyone lol works been kinda slow. I swear everytime I start working on it someone calls/txts me and needs something lmao.. hopefully today though ill be able to get the rest of my boards and have the stand finished and ready for the plywood part of the build.

Shot of the tiny bit of progress so far lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121126_095139.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121126_095139.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 92
Just out of curiosity, what are the 4x4's for? You'll have a greater chance of those twisting/warping than if you screwed 2-2x4's together. With the height of the stand at 4' I would look into anchoring it into a wall. 190+ gallons of water 4' up on a 7x2' footprint is top heavy to say the least.

Ya its gonna be pretty top heavy but I was gonna use the 4x4s in the center for support but I guess your right about just doubling up on the 2x4s.. as for the toppling issue.. I don't have kids and my one dog weighs about 5lbs so that's not to much of an issue although when I start to finish the stand the base will be larger closer to 9'x2.5'

Also I'm not gonna use the 2x6s... Only reason I was gonna use them was my buddy has been doing some home renovations and had a few full boards but I'm just gonna stick with all 2x4s now

Andrew McFadden said:
Mine are doubled and some I tripled

Ya once I get the skeleton of the frame finished im gonna go major overkill on support beams...I'm thinking about 18 2x4s supporting the load.

This will also have a 3/4'-1' plywood skin and fully finished so that'll really help the rigidity of the structure too

And just to make it clear... This IS my first time doing anything like this so any advice is greatly appreciated.. last thing I want is to have 200+ gallons crashing onto my floor while I'm watching tv lmao

Nope luckily this is the strongest part of my floor as all the floor beams have already been doubled up and only stretch about 6' to the cellar. The guy that owns the house actually use to have a fish tank here but I believe it was only a 125. I think that's why the floors already been beefed up.

Plus later down the line when I'm filling it up ill probably go add a little more just to be on the safe side but no floor jacks if that's what you were wondering

Imo i think that since your making the base a little bigger the top should be the same to make it even and that there is a little room around the tank on the stand thats just how i like it it gives me some comfort that way i when i place the tank finally i can make sure its even so i like a little wiggle room

Back
Top Bottom