8g tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScaryManager227

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone

I have recently purchased an 8g tank. In the past, I have had an 8g tank 6-8 neon tetras and two corys. Just wondering if this is an acceptable amount or if it is overcrowded. If not overcrowded, what other fish would go well in this environment.

I haven’t yet setup the tank, and just wondering what else would go well in this tank. Should I use sand or pebbles, and what plants would thrive?

Along with this, what other things would be essential to start? I currently have the tank with a filter and light.

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

A GH of 38mg/l is 38ppm, which is very soft water and is ideal for Bettas and most tetras. The drawback for tetras is the tank size, tetras do better in tanks that are at least 2 foot long.

If you want a male Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens), then that tank would be ideal for him and maybe a snail and shrimp.

I don't recommend keeping other fish with Bettas because they can snap any time and kill everything in the tank. Some remain peaceful and live happily ever after with other fish, but some turn psycho and there's no way of telling which fish will do what or when.

If you want to try other fish with a male betta, look for small bottom dwelling fishes that aren't brightly coloured. Bettas usually live near the surface and are more tolerant of dull coloured fish living on the bottom, but highly likely to attack brightly coloured fish that live in the upper half of their tank. Small loaches (Khuli loaches) and pygmy catfish can sometimes be kept with them but again you have to monitor the male Betta and if he shows any aggression to the other fish, remove them immediately.

If you want a community tank then get a bigger aquarium. If you want a male Betta, stay with the tank you have.

Back
Top Bottom