90 gallon stocking suggestions and advice on catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StrangelyNormal

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey. I seeded a 90g with about 120g-150g worth of filter gunk over about a week. The tank is ready to go and the fish in the tank prior are now in there. (Ammonia is 0, Nitrite readings are good, Nitrate readings are good). I am still watching these levels diligently, though, and won't be putting anything else in for at least 2 weeks to make sure everything is good; but everything is stable, and it should be cycled given the readings are consistent. 90g has two ac110 filters.

Right now I have a German Blue Ram, three Diamond tetras, and someone has given me a small featherfin they no longer wanted and if I didn't take it it'd be at risk of flushing... I have a LFS that accepts fish, and I know how big Featherfins get: So, will he eventually eat the Diamond tetras? Would it be in the best interest of my tetras to give him to the LFS?

Otherwise, I'm hoping for a community tank with one or two centerpiece fish.. given big fish eat small fish, that's going to be a difficult venture. (I have no plans for anything too small like Cardinal Tetras or Neon Tetras, and want to get another three Diamonds for a school).

So, any suggestions, and advice on the Featherfin? I just didn't want it to be flushed, so if I need to give him away I'm perfectly ok with that.
Once that issue is out of the way, stocking suggestions?

Thanks in advance! I've done as much research as I can, but I find forums like these help. :)

How about angels and an assortment of rainbows?

I would do:
2x Angels
5 Boesemani Rainbows
5 Praecox Rainbows
5 Turquoise Rainbows
10 Cory Cats

That would give you a highly active and bright colored tank.

I would give the featherfin away if it were my decision.

That's what I'm thinking.. I knew they get big, but I don't want to endanger the Ram or the Tetras. And the Angels would be alright with the Diamonds? I've read Diamonds can be fin nippers, though I've never actually seen them do it with various long finned fish I've had. The fish never had any fin damage.

I'm trying to stick with South American fish (maybe with a few mismatches) - the ones that have caught my eye are Hoplo Catfish and Severum (they'd worry me with the Ram, though, not so sure about the Diamonds). I'm not too new to this hobby, but by no means an expert - I've kept the tank prior running for 10 years or so and also have a 10g betta tank (and before that, had a 40g).

Just food for thought for anyone else who suggests. I hadn't said about South American because I wanted to see if my information was correct regarding temperament and compatibility - thanks. :)

I did a mock stocking, and I came up with this:

6 Diamond Tetras
1 Severum
1 Flagtail Catfish (Presuming Brown Hoplo wouldn't work since it Brackish?)
6-10 Cories
1 German Blue, but I'm afraid he may be eaten by the Sev. Giveaway?

Before I "add" anything else, how's this looking? Pleasse let me know if anyone's bound to get eaten!
As I said, I've had various New World cichlids, and love them. South American fish seem to draw me in.

Porthole catfish would be a good option instead of the flag tail. They don't get too big and will do ok in schools. Bleeding heart tetras are really nice schooling fish.

Precisely! love it, thanks. :) Definitely going for a South American feel.

Another few fish that came up in the search are Festivum, Blue Acaras and Congo tetras (yes I know they're not south american but they do well with cichlids apparently). Any thoughts on those? Just want to stock this the right way.

The featherfin will be fine with the tetras, they aren't predatory critters. A 90 is a decent size tank for 1, but I wouldn't add another. Personally I like Colombian tetras, good size and very colorful. Single larger cichlid or a pair, would need to grow out a group of 5-6 juvies and rehome the extras to get a pair. Blue acara and festiviums are relatively mellow cichlids, adult severum won't bother the Ram but Ram's do like their water warmer than most.

Fantastic. It should be around 80 degrees at the moment but I will re-check again to be sure. I've heard of Blue Acaras and Festivums, yes (so happy my research is right!! :D), but you wouldn't recommend mixing any large cichlids (single) if I am correct? I also worry over territory, since cichlids are territorial - so what would be my best options with the larger cichlids? Single OR paired?

And yes, was considering Colombians too. :)

Thanks so much for the help!

Ram's like it 80-84, but that's warmer than most others are comfortable with long-term. A 90 gives you enough room for a pair to establish a territory for spawning and still have enough space for the other fish to get out of their way. You could keep either a pair w/tetras and catfish or several singles, just depends on whether you want them to spawn.

I have actually. I'm going to throw in a few freebies, and I figure that'll be one of them.

Question on the Acaras. Highly considering it, but would Diamond Tetras and Colombians, as well as Corydoras be okay with them (full size, of course.. I'll just need to hunt down full sized tetras)? Seems that for their size their mouth is pretty big. Just want to be sure. Severums and Festivums seem OK there, but Acaras I'd worry a little. Depends on the fish?

Severums would eventually grow a bit large for a 90, not quite cramped but given how big they do get they could use more space. Young ones would be alright for a year or two though. I've never kept rainbows in a 90, but I did have a group of praecox in a 55, and they beat the snot out of each other. Supposedly they're smaller/less troublesome than other species of rainbows, but IME they about were as bad as mid-level aggressive cichlids.
Acara's shouldn't be any trouble at all in a 90, they don't claim a large territory. Cutteri or just about any species of Cryptoheros would also be relatively mellow options. Easy to pair up and spawn, I had 3 pairs in a 90 a couple years ago w/out any problems (aside from more fry than anyone wants or needs...), fast-growing buggers too.

Sevs single out as well? (see below) Thanks for all the help though. :)

I've heard of Rainbows and also Keyholes. Rainbows worry me initially because of what you said - they need groups and without the group dynamics they seem like WWE in fish.

But I'm probably going to go the single route to keep things relatively simple after taking a day to think on it. I know if they spawn I'd need to watch the aggression behaviors and the babies would also probably be eaten by other fish in the tank, so I'd be inclined to go single, at least for now. I also basically only have this tank at my disposable aside from a hospital tank, so the rest of my house would call me crazy if I started raising baby fish. XD

I just don't feel it'd be responsible of me to spawn them (or potentially do so) and not know much about what's next (homing, fry food, etc). It wouldn't be right to the fry. I know behavior is very interesting with paired fish and I love fish with personality, but it wouldn't be very responsible of me (I'd consider myself beginner intermediate at this point).

meant to edit the post but it's too late - I've confused your post thinking you meant rainbow cichlids. You meant dwarf Rainbowfish. My apologies.

Are boesemanis an option for rainbows? (hope double posting is not a problem.. just have more questions. Didn't see anything about it though)

You could keep a single severum in a 90, but given how large they grow a 5-6' tank really suits them better. The dwarf neon rainbows were in a well-planted 55, and the recommended sex ratio for the group. I have a different species of rainbows in my 125 now, and haven't had any problems with them. Never kept boesemani rainbows, or even researched them myself.

I'd highly recommend a festivum if you go the SA route. Very underrated fish.

Thought so, azmodan. I've read nothing but good things about them and it's odd considering few people seem to have them. So Acara and Festivum good for larger SA cichlids? Any others you'd recommend?

And will be researching cryptoheros, thanks. :)

Back
Top Bottom