90 gallon tank ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacksthefish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all I just got an oscar and love it, its like a dog. Its only in a 20gallon tank for now while I try and get the other tank set up.

Im looking for help on a set up for a 90 gallon tank, Im going to build the stand to save some money, and maybe the canopy, not sure yet, Im looking for what I need to get for this tank, never had a tank this size before.

If you could give me a good filter, rock type, heater, and some good details how long should I keep it set up to cycle, will it take longer then the 20gallon becauses its bigger?

The help would be greatly appreciate, want to get it set up ASAP so my Oscar isn't so crammed in a small tank. Thanks.

I ama fan of running 2 filters per tank. I would put 2 ac70's on it, maybe more. Rock type? I am assuming substrate? If so, I would go with sand. It really shouldnt take long to cycle since you hace a 20g you could use seed material. Normally tank size has nothing to do with cycle time.

Welcome to AA!

Get two AquaClear 70s or two AquaClear 110s. Canisters are an option, but I have no experience there.

Search 'fishless cycling' on here. That's how I'll recommend you should set up the tank. It shouldn't really take much longer if you do it properly.

I would go with 2 fluval 405's if you can spare the cash if not then 2 AC 110's. I say this for 2 reasons, one you can never have enough filtration and 2 oscars are as you put..like dogs which are dirty. If you under filtrate with them you will quickly run into water problems. I would also run your existing filter for about a month while running your other filters as well as use seeded material from your existing tank if you can. Also if your getting new decor and are waiting to get the filters for your 90, I would rinse the new decor and place it into your existing tank to allow for good bacteria to get onto it and will thus, help your cycle for the 90.

Thanks everyone for help!! Going to go with the AC 110 I think, rather have plenty of cleaning then not enough

As CA_BroncoFan and I suggested above, I'd probably go with two. Oscars are messy fish and really need a lot of filtration to keep the water in decent fish. If you fish can handle the flow, you can never have too much filtration. I run an AC70 on a 29g with good results.

I been looking at different filtration the AC looks good but I have been looking at the Fluval U3/U4 instead is one better then the other?

The u3 is only rated for 24-40 gal and the u4 is rated for 34-65 so basically for a 90 gal and an oscar you'd need to have about 3 of them and even then I seriously doubt their ability to filter the high load of the oscar. Id just stick with the ac110's

Back
Top Bottom