A 10g, thinking about shell dwelling cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So after a broken tank and 99452844 dollars later, I now brought out my old 10 gallon to use instead lol.
I really want to have shell dwelling cichlids and from what I've read they require a rather high pH, about 8-8.8. My pH is about 7.5 regularly, so what can I do to raise it?

As far as plants, can I have plants in there? I know they'll be doing much of excavating with their shells & such.

Last question, I've read they can be aggressive as all cichlids usually are, so what would be the appropriate stocking? 1m:2f?

Great choice!

Your pH should be fine if it's stable, however if you plan on raising it use aragonite substrate or put crushed coral in the filter.

If you provide plenty of shells aggressions shouldn't be an issue IME

Also you may be able to have some vals in there, but I have never personally tried it. I've read that some vals work

Hmm I might try the aragonite substrate. As far as plants I'll probably move some water lettuce over since it floats lol. thanks!

Did you pick out a species yet? There are about 15 species from Lake Tanganyika that are considered shell dwellers. Multis seem to be the most common. I would recommend a gender ratio of more like 1m:3f. Make sure every fish has like 3 shells to pick from. I agree that minimizes aggression issues.
Yes, they get nasty like most Afican cichlids do. They are small and more peaceful than many African species, but its good that you understand they are still cichlids. :)
Depending on the species, I have heard that many people who keep them in smallish tanks just keep one male to avoid territorial aggression. As far as live plants go, thats a gamble, but a few tough varieties should be ok.
I agree about your pH. You can raise it a bit if you are concerned, but stable pH is more important than having a certain number as your pH. If you want to raise it, use the crushed coral sand. :)

I kept multis in a planted 10g, they never bothered the plants. I had 2 males and about 12-15 females, had a total of 25 or more at one point... they're very prolific breeders.

Nope not yet! I need to see what is available around me. I know my LFS's have them but as far as the species kinds I need to check that out. Yes I will have the floor covered in shells!

That's a lot of them! Did you start out with 2 males and 12-15 females?

Back
Top Bottom