A cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What I dont understand is that if you remove a portion of the water wouldn't you remove the good bacteria with it? Also, is sand a must for cories? :painting:

Your thinking is in the right direction. There is some bacteria in the water but most of it is on the surfaces in your tank, the glass, gravel and most importantly, your filter.

The bacteria that are in the water itself are minimal.

When you are removing the water you are removing the endproducts that cannot be further metabolized by bacteria. That's why water changes are important. Most bacteria reside on the surface objects as said above.

You probably don't have much bacteria right now given your problems. You need to do water changes to get those ammonia/nitrate levels down. Then start with a very FEW fish, and slowly build your way up so as you add fish you have the bacteria to handle the wasteload.

Very few people keep sand in aquariums - I think Allivymar has some. Lots of people have cories. So I would say the answer to your second question is no. Please cycle your tank before adding more fish though!

I have sand tanks and gravel tanks and I have cories, and as long as the gravel is small and rounded it is fine for them. Some gravels have sharp edges and that is bad for their barbels. I love sand but it has it's issues so if you are relatively new to the hobby you can skip it for now!

Think of water changes as taking out the trash. The fish use the food and the bacteria in the tank use the waste that the fish produce, and the bacteria in the end produce nitrate, which nobody in the tank can use, so it is up to you to "take out the trash" or the whole place will deteriorate, much like it would in your own abode if nobody took out the trash, or waited forever to do it. For most tanks, it is never a bad idea to do a water change. I do them about every 3 days for the most part.

Yep, I've sand tanks as well. No corys tho.

However, I don't need em to know TankGirl's info on the gravel is mucho importante! The sharp gravel not only cuts the barbels, but opens the door to infection as well, causing the corys to lose thier barbels; this can be deadly.

And just to add another way of looking at water changes: Keep in mind, EVERYTHING you put into the tank stays there unless you remove it (with the exception of pure water by evaporation). Even the food, although its in a different form *grin*

Back
Top Bottom