A few questions about my Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

B-Chrono

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm pretty new to cichlids but I currently have 3 Bolivian Rams, one I've had for a couple of months and the other 2 I picked up a couple of days ago in hopes of getting a mating pair. My first Bolivian I've had is doing great and is starting to show more and more color the longer it has been in my tank, but the other 2 have much darker color and I'm not sure why. They are smaller so i was assuming that this trait was a juvenile thing, but since they have been in my tank they have lost quite a bit of this dark coloration and have become more active so now I'm thinking it could be due to poor water conditions at the lfs. I just want to be sure nothing is terribly wrong with my fish.

Secondly I was curious if anyone could help sex my fish, thanks in advance for any input

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

I have never seen a bolivian ram with coloration like the one in the first picture.

The bottom two look liked stressed juveniles. How big are they?

For comparison, here is a young adult I had a few years ago.

Attachments

• Mikrogeophagus altispinosus-1166.jpg
    Mikrogeophagus altispinosus-1166.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 76
I've never seen one like my first one either, it is getting more color though the longer I have had it. He's is about 2 - 2 1/2 inches

The second 2 are both around 1 1/2 - 2 inches I would say

Rams are very frightened fish. They require alot of plants and/or hiding spots and tunnels that they can escape to. If they do not have these areas, these very calm ciclids (I have rams in my community tropical tank because they are so calm) can get hyper and stressed and when they do, they also become more aggressive.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since I got them last week they have lost all of their darker coloring and have really become full of energy, they all have their favorite spots but they also frequently adventure to other parts of the tank, they seem to be doing much better as time goes on.

Back
Top Bottom