A few questions regarding preparation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Primordialsoup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody! I'm new to the site and this is my first post other than my introduction. I'm preparing to set up my first large aquarium and I have a couple questions about some of the equipment it will need. recently I got a big 90 gallon that I have big plans for in the near future. We just ordered a stand for it but that's the easy part, the hard part is mostly the electronic side of things. It's just going to be a tropical freshwater tank. I hugely apologize in advance if this turns into a long post but I'll try to break it up.

Covering:

My first question is do they just make a basic aquarium hood for this thing? I haven't been able to find a hood large enough to cover the entire top and not risk fish jumping out. A hood would be the easiest for me but if that isn't an option I found a glass aquarium canopy with a center brace that is 48 x 18 so I feel like it should cover the tank just fine. My only concern is that it might hinder putting in heaters, aeration, filtration etc unless I could drill slots for those into it. This is it to be exact. https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Canopy-Gallon-Aquariums-Center/dp/B01N6MYOHS

Lighting:

If I can't find a hood then what I felt was the best lighting option based on my research is this thing since I also want to grow live plants in there, https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Planted-Aquarium-Customizable-Sunrise/dp/B0812MYPN7, the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 ALC. If anybody here is familiar with this device, is it a good one? Will it completely light the tank or just give enough for the plants? I'd the prefer the former. Secondly would a glass lid hinder its' effectiveness? I don't even begin to know how to attach it to the tank. Is there a better option for a budget?

Filtration:

I want to use a canister filter not only to save room but because I've heard really great things about them and normal filters are hard for me to figure out. The best one I could find is designed for large aquariums and has pretty good ratings on Amazon. It's called the Fluval FX4 high performance. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N45GLZQ/ref=twister_B08LWX6RFW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 . The thing is its' insanely powerful and apparently does about 700 gallons per hour. It's recommended for tanks quite a bit larger than my 90. My friend who always had gorgeous aquariums told me that to minimize cleaning and make your tank extra clear you want to use a filter that's a step up in power from what's designed for the one you have. Like if you have a 10 gallon you want to use a 20 gallon filter but he also said you don't don't want to use one that's too powerful or you'll turn your tank into a whirlpool. Is that the case or would significantly more powerful be okay? My other best option for a budget based on good amazon feedback seems to be the Fluval 07 series here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JH4JHTC/?tag=aquariumadviser4-20. Would it be good enough?

Heating:

I've always had trouble with aquarium heaters. I can never really seem to get them to work 24/7. I've tried regular heaters, floating heaters and those heaters where you can use the dial at the top to set it at what heat you want. I've gotten them to work but a lot of the time the water still feels cold to the touch when it's set pretty high and sometimes feels cold to the touch even though it felt warm earlier. Often the light won't even be on despite the heater being plugged in. I've only used a simple stick on thermometer in the past and I've heard digital ones can be more accurate and I also know about digital heaters and thermostats that you can use to keep the tank where you want it. Can anybody recommend good heaters for a 90 gallon and how to use them effectively full time? Based on the types of fish I want to put in there at the moment I want to keep the water at a constant 77 f and very occasionally maybe gradually put it up to 80 f for a few days to encourage some possible reproduction among the guppies, platys and mollies.

Finally my last question, and thank you so much for bearing with me, is a very tiny scratch the tank must have sustained when we brought it into the basement. It's no longer than your thumbnail and pretty shallow plus it's only on the outside of the glass, not the inside. I still don't want it turning into a crack with the water pressure. I plan on putting some Aqueon silicone sealant on it before filling with water. Will that be safe enough? I can't easily replace this aquarium as it was very pricey.

Thanks so much for reading! All feedback will be very appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome, and congrats on getting a wonderfully large tank!

Covering glass tops, these have a plastic part you can see at the back in the pic, which can be trimmed to fit the equipment as necessary. If error you can slide the pieces together or buy a new plastic part only.

The hoods are not really necessary. It is usually purchase based on the color you want, most are black, and only the width, like 48".

That is a solid light.

This is a really great light, they are clearancing them out, was a $400+ light owned by Current USA - I own 4 of them 2 -24" and 2 48" they have remote and adjustable lighting, programmable timer. Best value I have seen for the quality, free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECOXOTIC-9...197784?hash=item3febc07318:g:z6gAAOSwKtVWzQNG

Posting this part so I don't get called away and lose it on the screen.

Canister filter.

Also my love goes to the Fluval FX-6 it has a huge water turnover ability and lots of room for media. I have 2 older versions, the FX-5. They are scary when you haven't used them I was literally scared of my filter, to set it up (I got them separately used) then to clean it out.

There are a bunch of little things to make it simple. It is moderately easy. There are a number of things you just have to do as a check list. And know there might be a mis step and have old towels handy.

As for heaters, the light goes on if it is heating, so it isn't on all the time. I like the 2 heaters to do the job. This way if one goes down then you still have a back up operating to not allow the heat to get too low. Getting a combination of an amount which would cover very slightly more than the 90G. I have several heater brands. I would go with a brand which is rated well, but also a titanium or unbreakable heater body, glass is just too dangerous, especially for a really long higher Watt heater.

Make sure too, you have a GFI outlet in your electrical line for the tank. (maybe not quite the correct terminology)

Another option which might give you a peace of mind is a heater controller. I haven't used this brand but it is well rated, I am not recommending any brand, just wanted to show one for clarity.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/wifi-aquarium-heater-controller-ink-bird.html

As for a scratch, no one can say for sure - disclaimer - of how the damage will affect it's integrity. A surface scrape usually will not be an issue. Being at the top it will experience less pressure than if it was at a bottom location.

Fantastic! Thanks Autumnsky! This really helped a lot! I was having problems seeing the post for a little while so I wasn't able to check on it and I did end up getting Finnex light and the Fluval 07 in the end but I still have yet to get the heaters. I really like the two heater idea adding up to just over ideal wattage and that is definitely what I want to shoot for. I read 450 watts is good for a 90 gallon so if I can't find a 450 watt outright I might try doing a 400 watt and a 100 watt together. I also just this second found a 500 watt titanium heater called the Hygger that looks really good though it only had 71% 5 star ratings so I don't know for sure. I can't say I've heard of a GFI outlet. What is it exactly?

Back
Top Bottom