A Friendly Hello :) - new tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ill probably go with the silent cycle, i bought my gravel today and a couple hours later dad decided to throw 2 juvinille guppies in my tank... so have an ammonia source -.- going to try and get plants tomorrow

not 100% but dad says its a gro-light

What kind of light? T8, t5, etc? How many watts? How deep is the tank? How many bulbs are there in your fixture? I'm assuming its pinky in colour? What's the kelvin rating?

A good light is important for proper plant growth during a silent cycle. Not plant growth = higher ammonia.

its not a slim tube so its T5? tank is 50cm deep, yeah i guess pinky in colour would be the best way to describe it, one blub

its not a slim tube so its T5? tank is 50cm deep, yeah i guess pinky in colour would be the best way to describe it, one blub

If its about an inch it's a t8. That's going to be enough to only grow really low light, slow growing plants like java fern and anubia. I would invest in some more light. You can use a desk lamp with one of those curly cfl bulbs over one side of the tank and plant there. The bulb will have to be rated 6500K (kelvin) or say 'daylight'. Probably go with an 18w or 20w. Some good, fast growing, low light stem plants are elodea, hornwort, water sprite, wisteria and duck weed. They will help suck up ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Edit: and you'll need a good general fertilizer and a carbon source such as seachem excel to ensure the plants are healthy and growing.

Last edited:
i have a lamp with the appropriate bulb rated to 25W i can use, until i can afford to upgrade the light fitting

Today the oscars found a new home in a 200L tank, however might just have to find a new home for them one day in the future. also bought 18 bristlenose plecos from a breeder today, 3 in every tank in the house and they are all gone :p
also stocked every tank with DW earlier on today, been a good day :D

Back
Top Bottom